My Territory

Hiding.

That was what dragons were best at. They have stayed hidden for hundreds of thousands of years, out of human sights.

Hiding was a sport, especially with all the new human developements. Humans are smarter and more expanded. They crawl every inch of the planet except the hottest places and the coldest place and they still haven't found home in the clouds or under water.

Dragons are similar to humans in the way of adapting to new surroundings.

However, there were so few dragons left. Some went years without seeing others of its own kind. Very few dragons traveled in multiples. Only the smaller, stealthier dragons that lived in less human populated areas traveled in pairs or small groups.

Alfred was a lone dragon. He lived on a mountainous plain that humans named The Rocky Mountains. Alfred thought that to be quite the understatement after living there his whole life. Four-hundred-twenty-eight years he's roamed the mountains with few occasional visitors. Alfred doesn't like leaving his home unless need be. He's seen the Great Plains and the Great Lakes. Within the Great Lakes he met a small Dragon named Matthew and a smaller dragon named Kumajiro. He's flown over all oceans and met a few Sea Dragons. He's met a few Ice Dragons, and there was one dragon from the cold heart of Russia he didn't get along with. He enjoyed hanging out with Sand Dragons, also known as Desert Dragons, and he liked the Forest Dragons.

But, within a few days, Alfred would be back home, nestled in his cave high in the Rocky Mountains.

Now, being a Dragon, Alfred loved sleep. Dragons could sleep from days to years if they wanted. Alfred often slept for a month at a time.

One day, his month-long nap was disturbed two weeks in.

Thuds and crumbled and squaks woke him. Alfred raised his head and sniffed.

Blood.

Dragon blood.

Alfred bolted out of his cave, wide awake. He looked around, sniffing the cold air. A dragon bleeding in the middle of winter. By the scent of the other dragon, they weren't used to the cold. They could die in minutes. Alfred spotted a flash of golden and green scales, then launched himself off the flat rock. His wings fluttered in the cold air and he dodged treetops. A few mountain goats bleated and scattered as Alfred landed nearby the injured dragon.

"Hey!"

The small dragon's head lashed around, green eyes wide. He then bared his teeth and hissed, spreading his wings threateningly.

Alfred raised his head and the bends of his wings where his wing-talons jutted out. "You're injured."

"Back off!" The small dragon snapped, his scales shuddering in anger and pain. "I don't need your help or your pity!"

The larger dragon snorted. "You are in need of my help. Any hungry dragon or curious human could find you." Starving dragons were known to eat their own kind, but only if they were weak and couldn't fight back. It was seen more as mercy than murder or cannibalism  to other dragons. "Also, you're on my territory." The smaller dragon's wings dropped and his eyes widened again. "You have to do as I say. Come to my cave."

The small dragon lowered his head and sauntered closer to Alfred. It was an unspoken rule between the dragons. If you intrude on another dragon's territory - accidentally or not - you have to do as they say until you leave, mostly because a dragon's territory was small and all they had.

Once in Alfred's large cave, the small dragon was pushed into laying down. He still shivered despite the warmth of the cave. Alfred huffed and raised his head. "Stay here. I'll be back." The small dragon nodded, holding his wounded arm.