Chapter Four

~~~Sammy's Point Of view~~~

I panicked as I realized that I would be the one to tell her that her heart was failing her. They would have to fix a valve, or something. I had all of this running through my head and was unable to fully remember what the doctor had said about her while she was unconscious. I had to keep calm and trust the doctors, which I didn't, but I had to act like I did, at least around Allie. The doctors said she would be fine after this simple surgery and some proper medication.

"Sam. What is wrong with me." Allie looked up at me with tears in her eyes. It hurt me so much to see her in such pain.

"You're just having some issues with your heart baby, they're going to fix something and then you'll be just fine." I wanted nothing more than to believe what I had just told her.

"I'll be okay though, right?" She began to cry and looked down.

I sat besid her on the bed and pushed her hair behind her ears. "You're going to be just fine, I'll be here when you come back, which you will, It's just a simple complication, doctors say It's very common and they can fix it right up."

Mrs. Anders walked in with a small duffel bag in her hand and placed it on the counter next to the door as she walked in. She looked up at me and I nodded depicting that I had indeed told Allie what was wrong with her.

"You'll be just fine sweetheart." Her mother pushed her bangs out of her face and kissed her head

Allie let out a small smile which even though it was small, it could light up the whole room. I sniffled and sat  by Allie's feet so I could see her.

"C-" She cleared her throat which was probably dry as she couldn't drink any water. "Can you braid my hair it's annoying me."

"Nope not gonna do it." I said sarcastically standing up to grab a brush that her mom had brought.

She smiled as I turned her to the side and brushed out her now tangled hair. Her hair was always really long, even as a child she had hair that every girl envied. If it was blonde we could probably call her Rapunzel. After twisting her hair into a loose braid there was a knock at the door and a short male nurse entered the room with a cart.

"I'm here to do your I.V. for your surgery darling is that okay?" his voice was gentle, soothing even. Allie looked up at me with fear in her eyes. She knew surgery was soon and this was only step one.

"It'll be alright darling." I grabbed her hand and squeezed it to show that I was here, and not going anywhere until told otherwise. Which even then I would probably still argue.

"Okay, I'm just going to look for a good vein now just relax your arm it'll make this a whole lot easier for you and me alright sweetie?" He flashed a smile and wrapped a rubber band type thing around her forearm and moved her hand all around to search for a vein.

"Ah here we go, this is going to be a bit cold just brace yourself." he opened a wet wipe and ran it over a vein in her left hand

"This is going to pinch just a bit." I could see Allie cringe at the sentence, I don't blame her she had never had surgery and didn't know what to expect.

"So where are you from?" he began small talk as he prepped the needle and grabbed her hand, obviously to distract her.

"Indianapolis." She said through her clenched teeth

"Oh so just a few minutes from he-" he put the needle in

"A fuh-" she paused with a surprised look on her face. "I was expecting a bigger pinch." She laughed nervously. The I.V. was covered with a clear film. There was almost a bubble where the I.V. was it looked weird seeing her skin raised and knowing what was under it.

"I told you it would only pinch a bit silly girl. I'll be back in just a few minutes your surgeon will brief you real quick while I grab the anesthesia." He put on a big smile, spun around on his heel and left the room. After the briefing Allie was given the anesthesia.

"I'll see you soon baby girl." I laid one last kiss on her sweet lips while she was still mildly conscious. While I was internally about the breakdown I remained strong so Allie wouldn't worry. I squeezed her hand and let go as she sleepily went in the opposite direction as me.

"Should we go grab a bite to eat it's going to be about an hour." Mrs. Anders asked

"Sure." I said swallowing to ensure I didn't cry

I ate some, or as much as I could anyway and we headed back up to where the doctor said he would contact us when the surgery was finished. We sat in a room which had one other couple in it who looked just as anxious and worried as I did. I bounced my foot anxiously as I stared down the door waiting for it to open and have our names called to be told everything went well. The door finally opened

"Mr. and Mrs.-" I tuned out as I saw the couple sitting across from us stand up, knowing Allie was still under operation.

I anxiously bounced my foot for what seemed like forever and rested my head in the palm of my hands.

"I'm going to buy a water, do you want anything?" I asked Mrs. Anders quietly. She handed me a five.

"Get me one too, please, hurry back." I walked briskly down the hall to the vending machine and fiddled with the money to get it to finally go in. After purchasing 2 waters I figured I might as well stop at the bathroom.

When I finally got back the doctor had been talking to Mrs. Anders. It took me a second to realize Mrs. Anders was crying. Had there been complications? What happened? I needed to know. I began to worry and was scared for the answer I was about to ask.

"Is everything okay?" I said with a weak smile.

"Well-" the doctor began