Chapter Five

~~~Narrator Point of View~~~

Sammy rushed into the waiting room to see Mrs. Anders crying and she was more worried than she had been allowing Allison into the operating room in the first place. She rushed over to find out what was happening hoping that Mrs. Anders would be crying tears of joy. 

"Is everything okay?" She asked forcing a smile with a shaky tone to her voice.

"Everything went great. Allison shouldn't have any more problems, we'll keep her on antibiotics for a few days and allow her back home. You can come on back now she's just waking up, she may be upset." The surgeon led them back to the room Allison was in before where she was slowly moving her head from side to side. 

"Did they take off my hand?" Allison said in a sleepy voice. 

"Yes It's gone" Sam said giggling at Allison's question while rushing over to sit on the bed by her. Allison began to cry.

"Wh-why did they take my hand, I can't see either." She was crying more now. 

"Allie, Allie, I was joking, your hand is just numb because of the medicine." Sam picked up Allison's hand and brought it to her face. "And you can't see because you're not opening your eyes you doofus." Allison squinted her eyes open but the room was to bright and she squeezed them back shut. 

"Stop smiling." Allison said to Sam 

"Wha-"

"You're making the room to bright." Sam blushed and let out a laugh.

"Do you want a drink baby?" Mrs. Anders asked

"Vodka."

"Yeah alright I'll get right on that." Mrs. Anders laughed leaving the room 

"I told you that you'd be okay." 

"Yes, now kiss me girl." She puckered her lips and tilted her head back. Sam laughed and leaned over to do as Allison asked.

"You taste like sugar. Can I have candy." Her voice was still groggy but she was coming out of the trance that the medicine put her in.

"I would totally give you some if I had any." 

"Go find some." 

"No Allie go back to sleep."

"No" Allison whined. A nurse walked in. 

"Can I get you anything Allison." The doctor asked while checking Allison's vitals

"Can I have candy?" Her eyes were closed as she turned her head to the doctor.

"How about a Popsicle. We'll make sure you can keep that down."

"My chest hurts. Why does my chest hurt." 

Mrs. Anders walks in carrying 2 cups of coffee and an iced tea with a straw. After helping Allie drink her tea and eat a Popsicle Sam changed into sweatpants that Mrs. Anders brought earlier that day. She helped Allison change into shorts and gave her one of her own sweatshirts to wear for the night. When Allison was finally somewhat back to normal Sam laid will Allie in her bed and Her mom rested on the chair near the window. Allison had drifted off to sleep and Sam had the television that was in the room on low as she couldn't sleep. Although the surgery had gone well Sam was still constantly worrying that something else would come up. Allison had always been the healthy one in her family, and suddenly she was having heart complications out of nowhere. other things could happen out of nowhere and Sam didn't want to be asleep when it happened.

Although she told herself she wouldn't Sam had fallen asleep and woke up around 4 in the morning to check that Allison was still asleep and well. Much to her surprise Allison was awake just blankly staring at the ceiling. 

"Baby what's wrong." Sam whispered. This startled Allison.

"Oh, uh. Nothing go back to sleep." Going back to sleep would be the last thing that Sam planned to do She'd stay up until Allison was out of this hospital if she had to. 

"What's wrong?" Sam asked again

"I can't sleep this bed isn't comfortable, and I want to take a shower." 

"Well ya can't take a shower, darling. Do you want a snack or something I can go get you something."

"Am I allowed to eat?" she was genuinely curious because she hadn't eaten since the evening before and was starving.

"I'll go ask the nurse I'll be right back baby don't go anywhere." 

"As if I could." Allison laughed holding up all the wires that were attached to her. Sam laughed and realized how silly her comment was and gave Allison a kiss. 

Sam walked down the hall to the nurses station where they were getting ready for medication to be given out. There were several small white cups with pills in them paired with a cup of the same size filled with water or juice.

"Hello can I help you." Sam was startled not expecting a reply right away.

"Yeah, Can Allison Anders have some regular food now? She woke up starving and I just wanted to make sure." The nurse gave a peculiar look. 

"In room 206?" she asked walking over to a file cabinet. 

"Yes, Ma'am." Sam nodded.

"She will be brought breakfast around 8 or whenever she is awake but I'm sure she'd enjoy a small snack now." She stressed the word small.

"Okay, thank you!" Sam headed back to Allison's room and stood by her bed. 

"You can have a small snack and they'll bring you food later."

"Hell yes. I want candy."

"You little shit," She laughed "I should've known. how about a granola bar or something."

"Gummy worms."

"Granola bar."

"Chocolate bar."

"But, Allie, she said SMALL." 

"Gummy worms are kinda big aren't they."

"Yeah." Sam was relieved hoping Allison would give in for a healthy snack.

"Gummy bears it is." She laughed

"You are so stubborn! Fine, I'll tell you what. I'll bring back a bunch of candy and you can have a cup of it every hour."

"Yes, okay I can deal with that. You're so strict like even mom doesn't care."

"Probably because she's sleeping." Sam joked

"No it's because I need food hurry back." 

Sam grabbed money out of her bag and headed out of the room down to the cafe. There was a bunch of healthy stuff but through the doors was the gift shop where they had all different types of candy. Unfortunately the gift shop didn't open until 10 A.M. Sam was disappointed she wanted to give Allison whatever she could to make her happy. She looked around at the few people who were awake at 5 in the morning. After thinking for a minute or so she went up to where the food was being served. 

"Is there a gas station around here that's open?" She asked the cashier

"Yeah, down 20th street right next to bus station." the cashier smiled Sam thanked her and walked quickly to the exit. 20th street was right around the corner so it wasn't a far walk at all, not to mention the weather was nice and cool. After reaching the gas station Sam walked around for a bit picking up something every now and then. She grabbed both gummy worms, and gummy bears, and some different types of chocolate. She grabbed herself and Mrs. Anders some coffee as well. 

"That'll be $15.84." A big man with an untrimmed beard was working the cash register. He smelled a bit like old food. Sam handed him the money and without another word walked back up the street to the hospital. After going through the winding halls and taking the elevator Sam was back with Allison who had fallen back asleep. Sam laughed under her breath and took out a book and sat next to Allison's bed and read until she woke up.