Chapter Seven

~~~Allison's Point of View~~~

After six long, grueling days in the hospital they were finally letting me go home. The doctor was instructing mom on how to change my dressing and how to properly cover it and when I could have it uncovered and I shouldn't be wearing bras or tight fitting clothing and blah, blah, blah. While Mom and the doctor talked Sammy helped me into a loose sweater and shorts and braided my hair after all of that, she helped me gather all the things I had accumulated from home over the past few days; laptop, way to many clothes due to us not knowing how long I'd be in there, phone, movies, shampoo, and the list went on. I was hard to walk around for long periods of time and I became short of breath with the simplest tasks, this being said I got a lot of time to mess around in a wheel chair. The nausea had gone away and I hadn't had any other symptoms aside from the minor headache every now and then which apparently was normal. 

Thirty years later I was finally being pushed down the hall to the parking garage, with a giant bag of shit in my lap that I thought was going to spill everywhere. I waved to all the nurses that had put up with my constant complaining for the past week as we passed by them.  I felt like these colorful halls were never going to end right as we reached the elevator. 

"Thank god." I whined as we entered the elevator.

"I'll go find the car you guys wait by the elevator, Okay?" Mom was such a wonderful person, always so helpful, sometimes to much, but I wasn't complaining. She walked past a long line of cars you could almost feel her irritation, although she was getting further and further away.

"Sammy, my legs are being crushed." I stared at the bag on my lap.

"What do you want me to do about it." she said with a curious face

"Uhm, I dunno." I changed my expression from soft to sarcastically irritated. "Move it maybe?" 

"It's gonna cost you." Her tone was sing songy. 

"How about." I stretched out the t pretending to think  "You can kiss me." I smiled, biting my bottom look and looking up at her as she stood above me. I felt my face become warm as she leaned over and accepted my offer. She rested her forehead against mine and took some of the stuff off my lap. just as she stood back upright mom pulled up with the car, put it in park, and got out to help me into the car, although I was perfectly fine to move from the chair to the car. Sammy put all the stuff in the trunk and got into the backseat with me. She closed the door and laid lengthwise, resting her head on my legs. There was a drive of about half an hour so we might as well get comfortable. I played with her hair as I watched out the window, taking in the world around me, as expected nothing had changed, and although It had felt like it, I was only gone for nearly 6 days, not a decade like it had felt.

I fell asleep about halfway through the ride, as did Sammy, and woke back up when we were pulling into the driveway. I sat there and squinted for a second before finally realizing that we had made it home. I did some weird stretch thing, like a cat, with my back and lightly smacked Sammy's forehead to wake her up. She groaned and forced herself to a sitting position.  

"What, century, is it?" She asked sarcastically gesturing that she felt like she had slept for a long period of time.

"It's 3004. We all live underwater. You were frozen during the great freeze of 2013. You are also a man now." I messed her hair and opened the car door at the same time as her as she laughed at my sarcasm.  Mom ran over to me as I stood from the car. 

"Mom." I groaned. "Go make lunch I can get into the house I'm not going to die." Mom threw her hands back but instead of going inside as I said she could she just stepped aside to close the trunk of the car. I walked into the house and plopped myself onto the couch and turned on the television. 

"SAM." I yelled. She came running down the stairs. 

"What? Are you okay? Do you need something? what's the matter?" She was freaking out over nothing.

"I, uh- can you help me upstairs please." I was going to ask her to watch a movie with me but I figured we could do so upstairs and I guess me yelling for her was a bit alarming just being out of the hospital and all.

"Yes of course I was just about to shower, do you wanna join me." I really did, but showering was such an effort and I had to take off my bandaging which took forever.

"I mean, I'll sit in there with ya but I don't feel like having to apply the waterproofing." I was tired too but I didn't want them to worry so I kept that to myself. 

"Actually baby, why don't we get you into pajamas and set you up in your room? My shower can wait." She was always so sweet I don't deserve her but I'm not letting her go anytime soon.

"Yeah, that sounds good. Please." I smiled and held onto her hand as she brought me into my room. I changed into boy-shorts and a big t-shirt and climbed into bed. Although it had been warm outside I always kept my room cold because I can't be comfortable without a blanket on. She turned on my TV, brought me the remote, plugged in my laptop put that on my bedside table along with my phone which I hadn't touched in days. 

"Thank you so, so much babe." I tilted toward her asking for her lips against mine one last time before she left to shower. 

"Just yell if you need anything. Don't you get out of bed unless you're going to use the bathroom." She paused staring at me. "Got it?"

"Yes, Dad." I laughed, she pouted at my sarcasm. "I'm kidding, Love you!" 

"I love you too, stay in bed now, ya hear."

"Alright, Pa." she gave me a half smile and rolled her eyes, spinning on her heel and walking out of the room. I flicked through the channels probably 20 times finding nothing to watch and decided to disregard Sam's lecture on staying in bed and got up to put in a movie. I curled back up under my blankets and at some point fell asleep.

I slept for the next few days, moving around was way to tiring lately. I was only woken up periodically to be checked on or because I had stolen Sam's blanket, and of course to be fed every once in a while. After about 3 days I had much more energy and stayed up for most of that day. Sam and I watched movies for most of the day in my room and we didn't fall asleep until around 3 am. 

I guess they let me sleep through lunch and breakfast that day, because I did't wake up until 2:30, at which point I woke up crying and in pain. I was instructed to sleep on my back if I could help it, but unlike in the hospital I didn't have wires holding me down and I guess I turned while I was sleeping leaving me in pain.  

"Mo-m" I barely choked out cringing at trying to prop myself up. After a few seconds there was still no reply and I heard no footsteps. 

"SAM??" I yelled as loud as I could without causing more pain to myself.

"SAM!!" I yelled louder, causing me to become breathless seconds later I heard hurried footsteps up the stairs. 

"Baby oh my god are you alright?" 

"It- it hurts" I began to sob and fell back onto my pillow.

"Go- go get Mom." I paused to catch my breath holding my chest. "Hurry."