Chapter 12 The Mirror of Erised

That night Draco couldn't sleep at all. He tossed and turned trying to make himself tired, but nothing worked. All he could think about was Hermione. Her screams echoed through the walls again, and rang in his ears. Her memory was gone. He nearly lost her during the war and he doesn't want to take his chances a second time. She knew where the Deathly Hallows were, and that put her in great danger.

  He walked through the empty corridors. It was probably about 3 in the morning, and he honestly didn't care if Mr. Filtch or even if the Headmistress caught him and threatened expulsion. He ignored all the stares he got from the paintings as he looked at every door he passed, recognizing every door and remembering all that it contained inside it, that was until he stumbled upon one that he didn't recognize. He opened the door and saw a tall mirror against the back wall.

  Bags hung under his eyes with purple spots starting at the corner. His hair was a mess,  the sadness in his face could be seen from a mile away, and he didn't even bother to fake a smile. He looked down at floor in shame of what he's let himself become. Hermione once again only remembers the monster he had become. When he looked back up he was shocked at what he saw.

  A brunette stood next to him. Her bushy hair and beautiful brown eyes made his eyes light up. "Hermione." He said with a smile on his face. She looked a slight older then how she did now. Probably about 25, and he himself looked older too. His hair fell around his face, he was a little bit taller, and his face was more defined.

  Suddenly something else came into view. A small child that looked about four. He was almost an exact copy of Draco, but had Hermione's big brown eyes. Then he noticed his arm in the mirror. The mark was gone. His heart basically shattered right then and there as he looked at his own arm and saw the mark. He knew he would never get that life with Hermione with the choices he has made. He clawed and scratched at the mark until he reached the point of wanting to take a knife and dig it off his skin. After awhile he looked down to see blood lines running down to his wrist. He looked around at everything, his arm, the mirror before finally letting the tears run down his face. "Mr. Malfoy, STOP what you're doing." He looked around the room until he saw Severus Snape's painting.

  "Professor, did they leave your portrait in here?"

  "Actually no, mine is on the 5th floor. I just saw you heading this way and decided to see what mischief you were up to this time. However, some paintings weren't happy with me crashing their parties. I see you have found the Mirror of Erised."

  "The mirror shows what you most desire doesn't it?" He seemed to already know that answer to his own question.

  "Did you enjoy what you saw in the mirror?"

  "Yes."

  "Well, then there's your answer, but don't waste your time on it. Most have gone mad with it, and from what I'm seeing, you're on your way there. I myself have spent many wasted hours standing in front of it until I realized it was a waste of time."

  "I really messed up Professor. I'm many ways. It was my idea to stay that night in the Leaky Cauldron when I should've taken her back to the Manor where she was safe. I don't think she's ever forgive me for all the horrible things I've done. I've made many mistakes. She deserves to hate me."

  "We all make mistakes Draco. However that's the one thing people seem to focus on. They don't notice your pain or your sadness or your tears. The choices you make is the only thing they pay attention too. I know you've said some things to Granger that you regret everyday, but you can still fix things. I lost my love because of blood prejudice too. You got her to forgive you the first time. I'm sure you can do it again, Draco. Don't lose your love like I lost mine." Draco nodded at Snape before looking back one last time at the mirror to see the happy family he's always wanted. He can fix things with Granger, and he will.

  "Thanks Professor, I can fix this."