Learning to be Silent

Phil's POV

We had been living at our new flat for about two weeks now. Dan's Mum came to visit last weekend, and said the place represented us. We had a lot of gaming things, and one room was darker themed (a room Dan decorated, the guest room), and our room was full of green and yellows and blues, bright things like that (a room I obviously decorated). Dan was seeming down since his Mum left, and it worried me. But I just assumed he was homesick. After this went on for a couple days, I decided I should bring it up.

"Hey, Bear?" I stated, looking at him.

"Yeah?" He continued to stare at his computer screen. 

"Is something wrong?" I shifted closer to him and put my head on his shoulder.

"No." he said, in an irritated tone.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"Well duh, that's a stupid thing to say." He mumbled, but I heard it. 

"Wow, okay..." I said, sitting up.

"Some things I want to be kept private, Phil." Dan shot out at me.

"Even from me?" I said, hurt showing in my voice.

"Yes, Phil! Especially from you!" Dan yelled, slamming his laptop shut and standing up. I grabbed his hand, trying to get him to sit back down.

"Dan, please calm down!" I said, louder than I should have.

"Just shut up, Phil!" Dan said, ripping his hand from my grip.

"Dan," I started, calmly. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to know what was wrong, okay?" Dan continued to glare at me, and I could tell he was still very mad. "Now, please, Dan... Ju-"

"Philip Michael Lester, shut the hell up! Do you not understand that I don't want to talk about it right now?!"

"Fine then! Go shut yourself out, just like high school!" I regretted my words as soon as they spilled from my lips.

"Maybe this is why your Mom wanted you gone! Because you were so annoying!" Dan kept staring at me, and his face fell to sorrow after realizing what he said. "Phil... I..." I didn't want to hear it. I stormed past and went to the guest room. It felt like my entire world was just falling apart. Everything I trusted was gone, and it felt like I had a weight crushing down on my chest. It felt like I couldn't breathe. I crawled under the covers and began to cry, and ended up crying myself to sleep.

I woke up the next morning and felt horrible. My stomach and throat hurt, and my face felt dry.

I got out of bed and Dan was making breakfast. 

"Good morning sleepy head." He said, smiling at me. I tried responding, but nothing came out.

"Silent treatment, huh?" he asked, turning around to face me. I put my hand over my throat to indicate that I couldn't speak. "Oh, I see, okay." He said sympathetically, smiling at me again. "Here." he handed me honey and began making tea. "These will help your throat, Lion." I smiling at the thought of him calling me Lion again.

"I'm sorry for last night."

"It's okay." I managed to squeak out, very quietly.

"It's not, Phil. No excuses for what I did." He said, turning around and looking back at the eggs. I went up to him and hugged him from behind, kissing him on the cheek. I again, managed to squeak out,

"Dan, I'm sorry. I kept pushing you to tell me what was wrong..." My voice started to hurt and I was losing volume. I grabbed my phone and opened notes and continued, "I'm the stupid one." I showed him the message and he rolled his eyes.