Chapter 4 : Party Harder

My Grandma Pearlie was one of my only reasons to carry on after my drug dealing. I really missed her every second of knowing that she was really gone. I sat in my bed, writing that song for a hour or two til I got something. The song was amateur to me,  considering it was sort of unrealistic. I got the song together, then texted Raquan. Bro , I got this song written, but I don't think it will work. I need a rapper. "I gotchu. My potna David can handle that. You ready for the party? I know it's pressuring you, since g-maw gone.... I just want you to know, no no homo stuff, but you have a gift that I NEVER heard in life. You gotta go out there ,and show them how hard you live your life. They will be moved by the way you carry yourself. I believe in ya, dude. " Thanks. I'll be ready to perform at 8. I took a deep ass breath. I can't believe I'm about to show people what I can do. Time started winding down, my nerves were getting bad. I went to the only person I could confide in. My Mom. Momma! I called her name from upstairs. Shortly, I heard her small little footsteps outside my room. " You called baby? " Yeah... I need someone to talk to. I'm nervous about this performance. She sighed with a hint of wearyness and sat on my bed. " Baby, I know it must be hard for you to do something that actually comes so natural, but you gotta understand that this is what Momma Pearlie wanted. She wanted you to get big, and this is a start. Go out there, and do what you gotta do. Hold on, lemme give you this." She left and came back with a shoe box. Inside, It had pictures, old looking papers, a 9 milli (Gun) but at the bottom was a golden ring, kinda big with a big diamond. It was inscripted on the inside [K Bobby La cour]. " This was your father's. He left it in the motel we were staying in before he left for his tour. I want you to wear it, and do what you know best. Ok? " I put the ring on my middle finger, right hand. Okay Momma. She left out the room, and I did nothing but glare at the ring and how it shined. I gotta get out there.  6:30 rolled around real fast and I just got out of the shower. "Kenny, You have company! " I gathered my song, put on all black, black lion shirt, black jeans with a gold belt, and all black Timbs. I put on my eyeglasses and ran downstairs. My mom smiled and when I saw who was there, my heart beated out of my chest. Khyna. Why so early? She had on all black as well ; black pencil skirt, a black see through shirt, with a tube top underneath, and black stilettos with a gold heel. Her hair was in a super long braid. GOD. She was soooo beautiful. She's ama-gco "Kendrick?  we're kinda running late. We have to get to soundcheck and you have to show David the rap." Oh, right!  Before I could hit the door, here go my moms. " Wait, let me get a picture! " I sighed in a whiny voice , making Khyna laugh. We posed for a quick picture, then got in her car. I decided to make casual convo to ease my anxiety. So, where's Raquan? "Oh, he's waiting at the house. We have it set up in the backyard. Its real dope!  I hope you got a good song because I kinda got a surprise for you." Oh yeah?  What's that? " You'll see"  I sat next to her, peering at her serious face, trying to drive. Everything about her is so cute, I swear. We pulled up to what looked like her house, big skylights in the front yard and a big stage set up in the backyard, so big you can see it over the two-story house. Th-This is it?  GOD Its huge!  I don't think I can do this... "Don't worry, Kendrick. You can do it!" We got out the car and walked inside. I got to admit, for middle class, they were sitting real fancy. I wonder why Raquan brother even touched drugs when he got it like this. Soon, I heard a shriek. " Ohhh you must be Kendrick!  I've heard so much about you! " a old lady, about 60 years old, but with young attire, long hair, showered me with hugs. She could pass for at least 40. Khyna slapped her hand against her face. " Kendrick, this is my grandma,  Sheryl. " I laughed awkwardly as she gripped my body tight. Hey Ms. Sheryl. She let me go. " Call Me Sheshe! But a little birdy told me that you can saaaaang! I can't wait to see you up there! " I smiled . "Ayyyyyee! " , said Raquan as he walked in. A dude about 5'9 , real light, and Vietnamese walked up. He was dressed in all black, but he looked straight hood. I must say, we probably pull this off. Ra spoke, " This is David Le, the coldest asian-black rapper in the East. He can read and rap just like that." I dapped him and he smiled. " So uh, you gon let me see the rap? " Oh, yea. I handed him the paper. He stared at it hard, making my insides do backflips. He started nodding his head, and I swear I saw a smile creep along his face. He slowly rose his head. " I Love This Shit! " Bam! Found the name of the song right there. We practiced for a hour and then it was time. People started swarming, 5 , 20 , 50 people then it was 100 then 200 . There were cars parked miles down the block, the house was full from the upstairs to downstairs. The front yard and backyard was packed to the max. I sat backstage, gurgling down a bottle of water. Raquan stood near the dj, mixing the background music like I told him earlier. David stood in front of me, trying to coach me. " Look man, I'm not the type to congratulate a nigga on shit like this, but this song is one of the best songs ever written by a normal person! . Relax, and get out there. Imagine it being just you and grams. Close your eyes. Matter of fact?  Give me those, and take these. " He took my eyeglasses and handed me shades. But wait!  I need them to see, its kinda blurry without them. " Don't worry, you don't need to see anyways". I got tense as I slid them on my face. I could see good, just not far away, unless you were directly in front of me. A figure pranced towards me, til I seen that it was Khyna. "Hey Kendrick, you ready? " Kinda, honestly, I'm nervous. There's about a thousand or two people out there. " I know, but it will be just fine. Relax, and do what comes natural. You're grandma is watching down on you. Good Luck! " She kissed my cheek and I immediately liked to fall out. I've never been physically handled by a girl, especially since the drug game was my only girlfriend. My cheek became hot, and I tried to focus on something else. Soon enough, I heard Raquan's voice echo through the yard and the whole neighborhood. " Wassup all my East beasts ina building (roar of the crowd) . I know we got that UPT ina building (roar) , What about downtown? (roar) And the cutoff? (roar) Ohh, we so turnt. But before I go any further, I would like to take a moment of silence for my friends dearest grandma that just passed earlier today. (pause)That's actually why this party is still existing as we speak. My friend, Kendrick La Cour is gonna perform his self-written song" I Love This Shit" ft. David, The east's colest rapper. So without further ado, let's welcome Kendrick! " The whole crowd clapped and applauded, but I didn't budge. I slowly walked through the curtains and stood before the crowd. I tried to move my mouth, but I couldn't. Then the worst thing, I stuttered. H-hey, uh I'm Kendrick. I squinted to my left, and Khyna was smiling, giving me a thumbs up. Then she mouthed, "Just let go". I looked back at the anxious crowd. Honestly, I'm real nervous about singing in front of you all, but it's something I have pushed myself to do, for my grams. Suddenly, someone from the crowd shouted, "Awww it's okay boo, do your thang!" That gave me courage. I cleared my throat, and stuck a finger up, cluing the dj to start the song, and when it came on, David stood at the edge of the stage, hyping the crowd. "Put ya hands up! Lesgo! " I closed my eyes and let the song roll from as deep of my body as I could manage.