Chapter Four

Alex's POV:

I didn't know how to respond. I ended up telling him my story.

"...when I was ten, my father left us. Two years later, my mom and I got really sick. We were dying. She didn't want to tell me, but I knew. We only had enough money for one serving of medicine. My mom told me that I should take it, that she was starting to feel better anyways. I didn't believe her, but she forced me to have it. She was holding me when she died, John. We were sick and she was holding me. I got better, she died.

"Then there was a hurricane, destroyed my town. Everyone died and I survived. I moved in with a cousin, who committed suicide. I didn't know what to do anymore, so I let out all my feelings. I wrote. People finally started buying my work, and I got a full scholarship to Kings College, but only if I'm the top student. So I came to America.

"That's why I write like I'm running out of time. Time is ticking. We're all gonna die someday. And I need my full scholarship or I'm going back."

John's POV:

I didn't know what to say. He had a life even worse than mine.

"I... I'm sorry." That was all I could say.

"It's all right," he sniffled. I gave him a hug, and he laid his head on my shoulder. We stayed like that for a bit, and then we went to bed.

Again, he went to the bathroom, and I quickly put a shirt on, in case he came out. He came out when I was dressed, and I was relieved. He looked so embarrassed the last time, and I didn't want to hurt him more than he already was. And at least the first time, he hasn't seen the scars.

He crawled into his bed. "John?" He said quietly. "Can you come here?" I nodded and crawled into his bed with him, putting my arms around him. I realized how skinny he was, but didn't say anything.

He snuggled into my chest and I held him. We fell asleep like that.