Chapter Ten

John's POV:

I brought Alexander home the next day. Alex and I emailed all of his teachers to tell them that he wouldn't be going to school for about a week. I emailed mine that I wouldn't be in class either, to which he protested, but I insisted. I wasn't going to leave him alone after that.

"Hey, Alex. What're you doing?"

"Nothing." He was laying down on the couch with his feet propped up on the coffee table and his laptop on his lap.

"I'm bored. Coffee?"

"Maybe later."

"Now, Alex!" I whined. "I wanna bring you out for coffee."

He turned to face me, a hint of a smile on his small lips. "Are you asking me out on a date, John Laurens?"

I grinned back at him. "Maybe."

"Fine. I'll go. Let me go change first."

"Fine. But I think you're perfect the way you are."

He blushed as he closed his laptop and stood up. "Thanks, Laurens."

"No problem," I smiled proudly at him.

We sat down in a Starbucks down the block from our dorm, and I ordered coffee for us both. I could tell he didn't really want his, but he drank it anyways.

"So, Alex. What do people do on dates?" He blushed slightly.

"I don't know. I've...never been on a date before," he confessed.

"Perfect. It's a first for the both of us." I leaned forward on the table, taking a sip of my macchiato. "What's your favorite color?"

"John, really?"

"What? I'm just trying to get to know you a little bit better." I smiled at him as he nervously pushed a strand of hair behind his ear.

"Umm...I like blue, I guess. I don't know. You?"

I liked him when he was flustered. His face went pink and he fidgeted with his hands and wouldn't meet my eyes. He was adorable.

"Mmmm...Maybe green? I don't really know either." I grabbed his hand and he instinctively squeezed it, then realized what he had done and tried to pull away. When I held it tighter, he just blushed yet more and looked away.

"Alex. You're adorable, you know?"

"C'est ce qu'on m'a dit," he mumbled.

"I have no idea what you just said, but it sounded cute." He shrugged.

"Thanks."

I sighed. "Well, this is an engaging first date, Alexander Hamilton."

"So it is, John Laurens. So it is."

"When's your birthday?" He asked randomly.

"October 28th, why?" I looked at him as he shrugged yet again.

"Just wanted to know. Mine's January 11th, because you were about to ask."

I sat there with my lips parted. He was right, but I guess that's an easy question to predict.

"And no, I've never liked extravagant parties, so don't you dare plan anything for me."

What? How did he know?

"You are a genius, Alex. My genius." He blushed yet again.

"You're blushing." The simple comment made his face even redder.

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are." I squeezed his hand. "You're cute when you blush."

"Tu dis toujours que je suis mignon."

"Sure. What you said."

"Je suis complètement amoureux de toi, mais tu ne peux pas me comprendre. Parfois je suis content que tu ne puisses pas le faire. Je t'aime."

I started smiling. "You know, even if I have no idea what you just said, I understood that last bit. I love you, too, Alex. I really do."

He smiled shyly back at me.

"You are the best thing that ever happened to me," I whispered to him. "And I thank you for that."