Chapter 30

“The Rented Husband”

2012 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 30

     The air was warm and balmy feeling when they walked out of the hotel.  Brody holding onto Olivia’s hand, reveling in the softness of her skin as he led her through the parking lot and down to the path that would lead them to the beach.  Walking in companionable silence, side by side Brody couldn’t help but to think about how right all of this felt; her hand in his, walking together.  It just seemed like it was meant to be. .

     As they strolled along, he peeked over at her out of the corner of his eye and smiled.  Her head was tilted upwards, towards the sky.  The sea breeze had her blond tendrils dancing around her face.  There was almost a fairy like quality about her.  It made her seem softer, sweeter.  This was a side of her that he didn’t get to see very often and even though he didn't he found that he liked it- liked it a lot. 

     Olivia, feeling his gaze on her, knew he was watching her and the woman in her took pride in that fact.  She was no longer able to deny the incredible attraction she had for this man.  He was everything a woman could want in a man. Smart, handsome, funny and when he kissed her it lite a passion in here like no one ever had done before.  The problem she had was that when he wasn’t kissing the breath out of her, her thoughts centered on how badly she wanted to strangle him.

     They were just too much alike in their stubbornness and their pride to ever be a compatible match.  To her they would always be just co-workers and nothing more.  She knew this was all just a show, an agreement that benefited him as much as it benefited her. 

     “Hey Beautiful, what are you thinking about?”  Brody asked her as he pulled her to a stop at the edge of the beach.  The only thing that separated them from the majestic blue sea was the sparkling crystalline white sands that spread for miles either way.

     Catching his smile as she turned to him.  “Nothing much,”  she replied, shadowing her eyes with her hand to see him.  He gave her that look, the one that she was becoming all too familiar with, the one that seemed to say, 'yeah right, who do you think your kidding?'

     “Okay,” she conceded, nibbling on her bottom lip, “Put it this way, It’s nothing that I want to talk about right now, let's just enjoy this for what it is.”

     “If you say so,” he said,  thoughtfully studying her.  His gaze was intense and un-nerving at the same time.

     Quickly she turned away from him, not wanting to reveal what she was thinking by the expression on her face.  Sitting down on the ground, she slowly pulled her shoes off one at a time and very meticulously sat them off to the side of her.

      Looking out at the ocean, she took some peace in the rhythmic way that the waves repeatedly crashed against the shore.  Maybe they weren't really married and maybe this was all for show but since they were here, In this tropical paradise, she could definitely see herself making some lasting memories to tuck away in her subconscious to remember on those lonely nights when she longed for the touch of a man.  Special moments that no one would ever know about except for him and her.