Epilogue

“The Rented Husband”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Epilogue

     They were coming to the end of what could only be described as a perfect day in Brody's book.  News arrived right before they boarded the plane, that Patton had been sentenced.  She had been found guilty for attempted murder.  She pleaded insanity, just like they knew she would and was now fated to spend the next few years in a nice, comfy room of her own, decorated with white padded walls and big metal bars on the windows.  Now she could finally get the help she so desperately needed. They couldn't have expected better results.     

   With the past behind them, Brody insisted on carrying Olivia, bridal style, all the way to the their room, only stopping in front of the door. “So Mrs. O’Conner," he said, looking down at her gorgeous face.  "One year later, it seems as though we have come full circle.  Here we are," he grinned, "Back at the very place where it all started.  What do you think about that?” 

    It had only been twenty four hours since they finally said their vows, officially making them husband and wife in every sense of the word.  Thanks to a surprising wedding present from the ambiguous Ted Murray, they were back in Hawaii and getting ready to enter the exact same hotel room that they shared during Caley’s wedding.

    With her arms wrapped around his neck, she lifted her head and kissed his stubbled chin.  “I think that you need to hurry up and get us in our room Mr. O'Connor.”

    He snorted, “I can’t argue with that.”  Maintaining his hold on her with one arm, he shifted his body around and pulled the key card out of his back pocket.  In five more minutes, they would be in the room and he planned to start this honey moon off the right way, with lots and lots of fireworks.  His hand outstretched, he was two seconds away from swiping the key card when a clipped voice called out to them.

    “You!”

    Both, Brody and Olivia snapped their heads to the side to see a Nun standing three rooms down.  She narrowed her eyes on them and crossed herself with her hand, mumbling some words that they couldn’t quite make out.  It wasn’t just any Nun either, it was the Nun.  The same one that accused them of being fornicators a year ago.

    “Oh boy,” Brody groaned, dropping his head on Liv’s shoulders. It would be just their luck to run into her now, on this night of all nights.

    “What?” Olivia asked, clearly confused.  She didn’t understand the strange animosity that was coming from the sister.  Her face seemed vaguely familiar to her though, like maybe she had seen her before but she couldn‘t place her. “Why is she looking at us like that?”

    Brody let out a slow breath and turned to the Nun.  He held up their joined hands and proudly showed off their wedding bands.  “We’re married now,” he pointed out to her, hoping that she would finally get off the fornicator bit.

    The sister glared at  them for a moment and then with a haughty lift of her chin, she pivoted away from them, shaking her head.  She pulled out her key and with a few jerky movements, she unlocked her door and disappeared in a swish of black robes.

    Olivia looked up at him and furrowed her brow. “What was that all about?” She asked again, thinking that it was the oddest experience that she ever witnessed.  She thought all Nuns were sweet and gentle people.  This one definitely had a major chip on her shoulder and she wondered why.

    Brody never did tell her the story about how they ended up in the wrong room, only to be properly chastised by the Nun and he didn’t really plan on telling her now.  Maybe someday, it would be one of those funny stories that you tell at the Thanksgiving table, but not when he was only moments away from finally consummating his marriage. 

    “It’s nothing,” he insisted, flashing her a smile that in the not so distant past had stolen hundreds of hearts.  Now, the only heart he wanted to steal was his stubborn wife’s.  She opened her mouth to protest and Brody quickly covered it with his own, effectively shutting her up.  For several long minutes, he kissed her deeply in the hall, enjoying the sweet taste that he had come to know as his wife.  When the chains of passion began to tighten around him, he lifted his head and was satisfied seeing her half lidded eyes staring back up at him.  “Room,” he murmured and she nodded in agreement.     

    Swiping the card, he pushed open the door and carried his bride over the thresh hold.  She giggled and held on to his neck as his lips continued to play havoc against her skin. 

    Walking over to the bed, Brody lightly tossed her on the down blanket and stood over her.  “You know,” he said, working the buttons on his shirt, “I have waited so long for this moment.”

    She sat up and watched him, grinning while she worked the zipper on her dress.  “And why is that Mr. O’Conner?”

    Pulling the shirt down his arms, he tossed it to the floor and started on his belt.  “Because, you’re officially mine,” he told her, “And now that you are mine, I want to make slow, sweet love to you, all… night …. long.”

    She chuckled, pushing the sun dress down the length of her body.  “I’ve been waiting a while for something too,” she commented.

    “Really,” he lowered his voice while taking off his slacks, one leg at a time and keeping his gaze firmly locked with hers.  His arousal was already straining and he couldn‘t wait to get her in the bed and underneath him.  She looked so beautiful sitting there, in nothing but her lacy lingerie.  “Why is that?” He finally asked, sensing that she was waiting for him to say something more.

    Olivia stood up and walked over to Brody, taking his large hand in hers.  “Because I wanted to tell you about this,” she said, placing his palm against her flat belly.  “How do you feel about being a daddy Counselor?”

    Brody stilled, his eyes flitting from her face, back down to her belly.  “You mean.. a baby?”  He bent down and in silent wonder, palmed her stomach with both hands.  “A real live baby is in there?  Our baby?”

    “Yes,” she told him, trying to hide her smile. She had been a little unsure of what his reaction would be when she told him the news.  She hoped he would be happy, but she wasn't sure.  They had talked about having kids but nothing had yet been decided.  After being two weeks late though, she broke down and bought one of those home pregnancy test, and a big pink plus sign winked at her.  “It's our baby.”

    Brody kissed her belly, and stood up, cradling her face with his hands.  “Olivia O'Conner,” he whispered hoarsely, “I say that you just made me the happiest man on earth.”  He brushed a kiss against her lips.  “I love you," he stated," staring deep into her chocolate eyes. "I love you now, I'll love you for always and I‘ll love you forever.”

    Olivia felt the familiar sting of tears fill her eyes and her throat thickened.  When she first pitched her idea to Brody about renting him out for a husband, she never imagined what all she‘d gain in the end.  A new husband that loved her as much as she loved him and now a baby to share their love with.  “I love you too Brody O‘Conner, for now,” she said and kissed his cheek.  “For always,” she whispered this time, kissing the other cheek.  “And forever,” she finished, sealing her solemn vow with a single kiss to his lips.

THE END