Chapter 31

Happy Birthday!!

“The Rented Husband”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 31

    Seth stared at the lap top, hardly believing what he was reading.  They finally caught a break.  It wasn’t much but it was a start.  His buddy back in New York was able to track the portable phone to the place of purchase.  It was a small store, “The Cracking Box” located on the bottom floor of the court house where Olivia worked. 

    Now, all he had to do was pull the right strings, find out the time of purchase and get his hands on a copy of the security video, Bam!  They would have the perp.  He sat there smiling at himself, finally a break.

    “What are you smiling at?” 

    He looked up from his lap top and froze.  He eyes widened as he took a minute to fully appreciate his beautiful wife.  Standing there with her hair wrapped in a towel and another one wrapped around her body, he was more than enjoying the view. Even after all these years of being with her; she still had this amazing ability to steal his breath away. 

    Swallowing, he had to remind himself that they were on to something.  Shaking his head to clear his lusty thoughts he pointed at the lap top. “I think we may finally  have a lead on Olivia‘s stalker,” he told her. 

    She rounded the table and came to stand beside him, peering over his shoulder at the open e-mail.  She stayed as silent while she read. 

    “I don’t get it,“ she huffed when she was finished.  Seth eyes were stuck on the way that her chest heaved with the small movement.  “Olivia is such a sweet person, why would anyone want to harm her?“ 

    Looking up, away from her chest, Seth wrapped his arms around his wife and pulled her down into his lap.  “That’s a good question sweet heart.”  He dropped his chin on her shoulder and stared back at the dim lit screen.  “A really good question.”

    She covered his hands with her own.  “If it’s someone at the court house, could it possibly be someone that she has prosecuted in the past?”

    “Could be,” he said, “It could also be someone she works with; someone that works at the court house or just some crazed stalker that has his eyes set on your sister.”

    Feeling his wife shiver, he squeezed his arms just a little tighter around her.  “Don’t worry, we’re going to nail the bastard baby.  Nothing is going to happen to Olivia.  As God as my witness, I won’t allow it.”

    She turned so that she was straddling his lap and could see his face.  “I know you won’t,” she whispered softly, resting her head on his shoulder.  “I trust you.”

    He sighed into her hair.  She trusted him.  Hearing those three words should have made him feel exuberant.  Instead, he felt down right weary.  He just hoped that her trust wasn’t misplaced.  No matter what happens, he  would have to make good on his promise because if something did happen to Olivia, he didn’t know if she would be able to live with him or if he would even be able to live with himself.

***********************************************

    “Hold on a minute,” Brody breathed, balancing Olivia with one arm and using the other to reach in his back pocket for the room key.  She had her arms wrapped around his neck and her wicked little mouth was teasing the hell out of him.

    “You taste so good,” she murmured against his skin. 

    He stilled when she used her teeth to graze the sensitive space behind his ear.  His muscles bunched and coiled tighter than a rattle snake waiting to strike it‘s prey.  “You’re killing me babe,” he wheezed, gripping his hand tighter around the key card that he was holding.