The Rules of Engagement Excerpt 5

A scene with Ioney and Alec.  Don't know where this will fit or even if it will fit at some point.  It just came to me one day and I had to write it out :)

((Een and Alec at Alec's garage.  A girl has brought her car in for Alec to fix and he takes an instant liking to her.  Een is out of sight in reception accidentally snooping on them.))

“Yeah, I’ll uh, I’ll let you know when It’s ready.  Probably be sometime tomorrow or Thursday.”

The petite brunette pushed her glasses up on her nose.  “Okay, thanks.”

“You need a loaner in the meantime?” he asked, scratching at his thigh.  

My lips quirked; Alec only ever fidgeted when he was extremely nervous.  And he was only ever extremely nervous when he cared about what kind of impression he was making on someone.  Which was not often.

“No, I don’t mind using the bus or walking.  Thanks again.  Um, I didn’t get your name?” she finished uncertainly.

Alec blinked at her.  “Huh?  Oh, my name.  Um, it’s, uh, shit I have one of those.  It’s Alec!” he eventually exclaimed like he’d just made some important discovery.  I resisted the urge to smack my palm against my forehead.  Truth be told, I’d never seen him quite this flustered.

Smiling, the girl held out her hand.  “Brooke.”

Alec went to shake her hand, then pulled back at the last second.  “Crap, sorry, my hands  are a little dirty.  I better not -”

Brooke grabbed his hand and gave it a firm shake anyway.  “Nice to meet you, Alec.  I look forward to hearing from you about my car.”

With that said, she turned on her heel and ducked under the rolling door that was only halfway open, her messenger bag bumping against her hip with every step.

Standing with his weight mostly on one leg and his head angled to the side, Alec watched her leave, and didn’t move until she was out of sight.

“What the fuck?” he muttered to himself, swinging the wrench he was holding in his left hand.  “How do you forget your name.  Girl must think I’m a total idiot.  Not that she’d be wrong.  I just… who the hell forgets their name?  And - oh, shit.  What did she say her name was?  God damn it.”

Still with his back to me, he thrust a hand through his hair.  “Beth.  Bride?  Becky?”

“Try Brooke,” I suggested, stepping forward so I was over the threshold and standing in his workshop.

Alec was so startled he dropped the wrench and let out a high pitched strangled noise.  He jumped and spun, his eyes wide and his face heating by the second.  The wrench clattered loudly as it hit the floor, and Alec threw a hand up to clutch at his chest.

“Jesus Christ I think I’m having a heart attack,” he said, then something occurred to him.  “What did you just say?”

“The girl you were just so tongue-tied with.  Her name was Brooke,” I said, trying not to laugh at how out of sorts he was.  It was actually kind of adorable.

“Brooke,” he repeated.  All of a sudden his face reddened even more.  “Ah, shit.  How long have you been standing behind me?”

I couldn’t help it.  A bubble of laughter escaped me, preceding my answer.  “Long enough to know you’re unsure of your own name.”

Alec bent to swipe the wrench off the floor, and tried to recover some of his usual arrogant swagger.  “I know my name.  And I wasn’t tongue-tied.”  He brushed past me to head back into the office.