The Rules of Engagement Excerpt 6

Yet another piece that I am unsure of. Might make it into the book, might not lol.

“Yo, teenybopper, if all of your friends started drowning themselves in the Chicago River, would you get your bathing suit on and jump right in?”

When Scout did nothing but give Alec a withering glare, he snorted.  “Didn’t think so.  So calm your shit down.  Your sister said you’re not going.  Calling her names isn’t going to change the answer, so why don’t you hole up in your Goth cave and put on some Justin Whatever-the-fuck-his-name-is to pout to.”

“It’s Justin Bieber,” she spat, stalking past him and practically shouldering him out of the way.  “And I don’t listen to that crap!” she shrieked, slamming the door to her room.

Releasing a noise equal parts amusement and exasperation, Alec arched an eyebrow at me.  “Didn’t she like, beg you for tickets to that idiot’s concert?”

Smiling sympathetically, I patted him on the shoulder.  “That was two years ago, when she was fourteen.  A lot changes in that amount of time.”

“Got that right,” he muttered darkly, casting Scout’s closed bedroom door a cautious look.  “Two years ago she was a diehard Barbie fanatic, and wouldn‘t have missed an episode of Hannah Montana even if the house caught fire around her.  Now, whenever I baby sit her ass I gotta keep an ear out to make sure she’s still actually holed up in her room and hasn’t gapped it out her bedroom window to smoke pot with her loser drop out buddies.”

There was the distinct sound of sliding wood from behind Scout’s closed door; no doubt she’d just made her escape.  Alec and I sighed wearily in unison.

“I told you to put freakin’ bars on that God damned window,” he growled, stalking to the door.  One twist of the handle told us both it was locked from the inside.  Alec turned on me, rubbing his hands together.  

“So, which stoner’s house should I hunt for her in first?”  The sneer on his handsome face said he was relishing the idea of breaking in doors and  cracking down on a couple of guys in order to find my sister.  Poor Alec, he probably hadn’t been in a decent fight for at least a week if his barely contained excitement was anything to go by.  The CBK must have been having a dry spell.