The Rules of Engagement Miscellaneous

A scene with Justice and Ioney, but as Justice's fate in RoE is as yet UNDECIDED, so is this scene.  Just a little treat I thought you guys might like :)

THIS DOES NOT CEMENT JUSTICE INTO ANY FUTURE BOOKS!!  Just saying LOL

“Montoya.”

He spun about to face me, so suddenly I nearly ran into him.  His hands came down on my shoulders.

“Justice.”

I blinked at him.  “What?”

“My name.  What I want you to call me.  Justice.”

A warm, welcome feeling seeped into my stomach.  “Okay.  But you hate your name.”

He shrugged.  “I like it when it comes out of your mouth.  It doesn’t sound so bad then.”

The grin I gave him was devilish.  “What about Giustizia?”

I stumbled over the syllables, and Justice wasn’t able to suppress a cringe.  His hand came up to cover my lips and he shook his head.

“Hell.  No.”

“But technically, that’s your name,” I said, my words muffled by the barrier of his hand.  “It says so on your birth certificate.”

Which meant he’d actually lied to me all those years ago when I’d asked why Callahan called him that.  He’d told me it was the Italian word for justice and that Callahan only did it to piss him off.

Justice sighed.  “Yeah, and technically, you could probably never pronounce it right to save your life.  Every time you try my ears bleed and my dignity dies a little.  So let’s just stick to the English version, lest people actually hear you calling me Giustizia and decide they like that trend.”  The name rolled so easily off his own tongue, his Italian accent thick whenever he spoke the language.  “God knows Alec would have a field day with it, and then I’d have to give him a black eye to discourage him.”

Rolling my eyes - gangsters and their names were something I’d never understand, I nodded an affirmative.

“Good.”

He was distracted enough that he forgot to remove his hand from my mouth, so I gave him a prompt by licking his fingers.

“Ugh,” he said, yanking his hand free and wiping it on his jeans.

I couldn’t help but laugh.  “Ugh?  Really?”

Grabbing me by the waist, he pulled me so I was up against his chest.  “Yes, really.  I can think of far better things for you to lick than my hand.”