The Rules of Engagement Deleted Scene 1

A scene that won't be in any of the books.  Nevertheless I had lots of fun writing it!!

This is with Ioney and Alec.  Alec is picking Ioney up after her self defense class.

I stood by the door, waiting for Alec. 

“Ioney, right?”

I turned at the voice, and my eyebrows came down over my eyes in a confused frown.  Doug, or Donnie - Dave? - was standing just behind me, close enough that it made me uncomfortable and wary at the same time.

The door at my back prevented me from backing up a step, unless I wanted to find myself outside in the rain, so I manoeuvred around him until he was between me and the door, and I had more space to move.

He seemed to sense my unease, because he attempted a reassuring smile.

“Yeah, it’s Ioney,” I said, glancing over his shoulder through the pane of glass in the door.  Still no sign of Alec.  And if he didn’t hurry his ass up I was going to leave, if only to get away from this guy - who, I belatedly realised, was blocking the exit.

Smart move, Een.  Real smart.

“I’m Doug,” he said, and held his hand out for me to shake.  I looked down at it, but kept my arms folded across my chest.

He took the hint and dropped it, seemingly unaffected by my bad manners.  “I teach the advanced class next door,” he said when it was obvious I had nothing to add to the conversation.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.  If I really wanted to, I could have recited everything he was about to say before he said it.  I’d been coming to my self defense class for a month now, and after some sessions I’d seen him pick a new target and approach them with an arrogant swagger and a victorious gleam in his eyes like he’d already won.  The worst part was, he knew exactly what he was doing.  He knew the class I was in was for beginners, and that most of the women who took it were vulnerable and looking for a way to protect themselves.  Most of all, he knew they’d see him as a white knight, and that there was a good chance they’d run head long into his arms.  

And once he’d gotten what he wanted and moved on, those women didn’t return to class.

Boy, was he in for a rude awakening.  Because I just wasn’t that dumb, and I wasn’t that vulnerable.

“That’s nice,” I said, giving him a bored stare.  

Two minutes, Alec, I mentally screamed.  Two minutes, and I was so out of here.

“You know, I’ve seen you practice with Aidan, and I have to say, -”

“You’re impressed,” I finished for him, and his eyes widened in surprise.

“Uh, yeah, very impressed.  But your -”

“Technique could use a little work, right?” I asked, and this time I did roll my eyes.

Clearly Doug lacked brains, because he’d failed to detect the heavy sarcasm in my tone, or my body language which was sending out some major leave-me-alone vibes. Instead he nodded his head, still smiling.

“Exactly.  And I’d be happy to give you some pointers in a private session.  Free of charge, of course.”

“Wow, lucky me.”  I appraised him like he was something disgusting I’d found on the bottom of my shoe.  “Thanks, but no thanks.  I think I’m doing just fine without your help.”

Doug proved stubborn.  He opened his mouth to sell himself some more, but blessedly, the door opened behind him and Alec stepped halfway inside.

“You’re late,” I said, and actually sighed in relief.