Chapter 4

This was written by the amazing @JoJoisawkward0706

I am taking over this story, but this is one of the original chapters.

Day ???

Colton's POV

"Colton I love you so much!"

"Your music really helped me get through a rough time."

"The way you talk about God just inspires me to draw closer to him."

Every single meet and greet it's the same thing. People coming by and talking about my music, or fawning over me.

I'm not saying that I hate my fans, I'm grateful for each and every one of them. But sometimes it feels like everything they say is about someone else. Like the person that they see and look up to isn't me. Sometimes I don't even think of myself as the same person when I'm around fans...

Sometimes I'm scared to know if they'd like the real me.

Ever since the idol tour I keep having those kind of thoughts swirl around my mind. It's hard when you start to question how many people like you versus how many like the persona you have created.

Luckily this meet and greet was over pretty early so I can take a walk and clear my head.

I quickly told someone that I was leaving and pulled on a hoodie. My hair is kinda... Noticeable, so I usually keep it covered after a meet up. It's easier to go through crowds unnoticed that way.

I walked down the crowded street and quickly put some music on so I could drown everyone out easier. Obviously I needed some comfort music, so Paramore was the only choice. Well that's not completely true but I can't help but connect with the lyrics of most of their music, so I'm hoping that maybe they can help once again.

I figured that I'd go to the park and walk for a while. That's usually what I do whenever I'm back home, and have a lot on my mind. Not that I've been home that much lately... Hmm maybe I should go home for a while after this stop. I probably could use a break, and I have been pretty much just going along with what everyone tells me to do. I'll have to ask later.

As I walked through the park I looked around, trying to find some sense of normalcy. A girl jogging, a father and his two kids playing in the sandbox. I smiled when he picked up the younger one and spun him around. I miss being that young and innocent, back when I used to spend Saturdays watching cartoons in my batman pajamas.

I sat down on a bench and leaned back, relaxing into it. It's nice to have days like this sometimes. Days to myself, days where I don't have to worry about putting up a front and trying to impress everyone around me. I can just be myself...without interruptions.

~~~~

After sitting there for a while I noticed that it started getting dark, not wanting to get lost, I decided to start the walk back to the hotel. It might take a while...

I looked up at the stars as I walked, they're always so beautiful. I wish I could just look at them forev-

I bumped into someone and we both fell to the ground. I looked up, getting ready to say sorry, and lost my train of thought. This girl was crying...was it my fault? She looked at me and all I saw were really pretty eyes. I quickly stood up and reached out a hand to help her. She looked scared....I hope she isn't afraid of me. I smiled a little, trying to calm her down, but she just scooted back a little. My smile faltered.

"Did I hurt you?" I asked quietly. She shook her head but still had tears streaming down her face. I bit my lip as she spoke up. "I- I have t-to go!"

She got up and ran away. I watched her, I hope she's okay...there's something about her that made me want to comfort her, but I have a feeling that if I had tried it would only push her farther away.

This is why I started singing in the first place. I hoped that my music could comfort the people that I couldn't help, but that goal slowly got lost as everyone tried to tell me what to do and who to be. Maybe I can get back to that...