Emotional Mush

Chapter Twenty-Two - Emotional Mush

All eyes were on Draco. He felt the sweat start to pool on his palms. He didn't want to go to Azkaban. It was self-defence...right?

"Yes," he whispered. "He was going to kill Hermione and I couldn't let that happen. I thought I'd lost her once already and didn't want to lose her again...am I going to Azkaban?"

"No, you're not," replied the Auror in charge of the investigation who had just walked into the room.

"Mr Zabini welcome back," added the Auror. "Son, we have been trying to locate and execute Marcus Boyle for over a decade. Mr Zabini here wasn't the only person to go missing by Marcus's hand though he was the only one to survive. You've done the world a great justice by getting rid of Marcus, no doubt you'll be rewarded handsomely by the Ministry for your achievement."

Draco breathed a sigh of relief that he hadn't realized he'd been holding. He'd been so scared that his actions would have sent him to hell for all eternity. From the mistakes he'd made during the war he'd learnt to keep his head down and not draw unnecessary attention. In everything that had happened, Draco had only been concerned with saving Hermione, so maybe he had changed for the better. It was only during the aftermath that he'd begun to worry about what would happen to him. Thankfully the Auror had set him on the straight and narrow but he still wondered what would happen to his soul. He was already so broken and surely his soul was in danger of losing the good it had and becoming dark?

Hermione put a comforting hand atop of Draco's pulling him from his depressing thoughts. She didn't want him feeling guilty for protecting others. She knew how easy it was to fall into a guilty depression and it wasn't as if he'd killed anyone in cold blood. It was kill or be killed and he'd only acted as a last resort.

"It's time for your story now Papa," said Hermione.

"Yes I suppose you've waited long enough," chuckled Andre. "I suppose you've worked it out already Hermione."

"You know what part we want to hear Papa," replied Hermione.

Andre looked at her seriously, "I'll tell you later angel," he said knowingly.

Instead of talking about his time in captivity like Hermione wanted to know, he listened as his family filled him in on all that had happened since his disappearance. He was shocked to hear about all the things that had happened. Especially the life his daughter had led from age eleven to now. Hermione was truly a powerful witch that much was true and all the seer had predicted seemed to have come true. Andre was suddenly grateful that his angel had disappeared and been kept safe. He knew she hadn't exactly hidden herself during the war but he was thankful that Voldemort never got his teeth into her. To hear what his daughter had become, the brightest witch of her age, war heroine, survivor of torture at the hands of Bellatrix, was enough to shock his mind flat.

Sure when the seer had predicted greatness of his future child he'd been delighted but in all his wildest dreams he never expected her to achieve this much. It made him proud to be her Father.

Much of the next few days were spent catching Andre up to current events, whether it be through his family and friends or newspapers and books written post-war. So much had changed that it seemed the world he'd left had disappeared. This new world was far different from anything he imagined and it would be hard coming to terms with the changes and fitting into the new life he was now in.

Andre got to leave the hospital the following week. The Chief Healer finally deemed that both Andre and Hermione were well enough to leave and return home. Though he mentioned to Hermione that she should ease herself back into her magic and not attempt any large or complex spells straight away.