Curiosity Killed the Cat, Hermione Bought It Back

As always: rights go to J.K. Rowling

Chapter Thirteen - Curiosity Killed the Cat, Hermione Bought It Back

When you're forbidden from talking about something it makes you all the more interested in finding out about it. Hermione wanted to know about her Father but no one seemed willing to talk about it. There were some things that didn't add up in her mind. Her Mother had told her that she and Hermione's Father had mourned her when she'd disappeared and had searched all over for her, yet Blaise had told her that her Father had died in the same raid that she'd disappeared in.

That didn't make much sense. Someone couldn't have missed her and searched for her at the same time as dying. She knew something wasn't right, she could feel it in her bones and it felt like her magic was drawn to something unseen. She'd asked Fleur to help her in her quest because she could trust her to be discreet and knew Fleur liked a good mystery as well as she did. Hermione knew that curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction bought it back. She only hoped that she'd find the satisfaction in her quest before she died like the saying suggested.

She decided against her better judgement that she ought to try and talk to Blaise about her Father first. She couldn't talk about her suspicions but she could at least question him about their Father as she was so desperate to learn about him.

"Blaise, what was out Father like?" she asked.

Blaise stiffened, "he was good."

"How did he die?"

"In the raid."

"I know that Blaise but how?"

"Why does it matter?"

"He was my Father to, don't I deserve to know a little about him?"

"It's none of your business," growled Blaise.

Hermione paled, "none of my business?"

Blaise looked at her for the first time since she had started asking questions and seemed to realise the damage that had just been dealt.

"I see how it is. There was me thinking how great it was to finally have a proper family. Yet apparently it's none of my business what happened to our Father. How is that? Is it because I've only just found out about my family? Am I not good enough? Don't I deserve to know?"

"Didn't you ever think it was a topic that was hard to talk about?"

"I'm family Blaise, it shouldn't be hard to talk to me."

"I'm not talking about it. You have no right to know."

"Fine!"

Hermione had had enough. She'd known it would have been difficult to breach the topic of their Father with Blaise but she'd hoped for more than he'd given her. She was furious, and here she'd been thinking that they'd been getting alone so well. She wanted to believe that this was just a mistake, that Blaise was just surprised and didn't mean to react the way he did but she'd seen it in his eyes. She'd seen how he believed it wasn't her business to know and that hurt her. For all his protectiveness, for all his caring friendship, it seemed like he didn't completely think of her as family like she did with him. It was like being transported back to plain old Hermione Granger where she wasn't good enough to be included in the group.

Well, she was a fighter and she wasn't going to give up just because Blaise was being a complete bastard. There were other people she could go to for information. She'd go to Daphne next because she was very close to Blaise. She would have gone to Draco as well but things weren't exactly good between them at the moment and he'd probably rat her out to Blaise anyway. Daphne cared for Blaise but she also cared for Hermione. She knew more about Blaise than Blaise did himself. Hermione assumed that Daphne had a crush on Blaise and you only had to look at them to see the chemistry.