Future Career Thinking

As always: rights go to J.K. Rowling

Chapter Seventeen - Future Career Thinking

It takes a certain amount of courage to recover from a Werewolf attack. Hermione was the only one not freaking out and she thanked her knowledge of Werewolves and her timid friendship with Remus Lupin for that fact. In light of the attack, parents were called, house elves were told off, servants were screened for loyalty but the Aurors were NEVER called. The rift created between Purebloods and the Ministry of Magic during the war had never fully recovered and as such, Purebloods were reluctant to call upon the Ministry in situations that were best sorted without their interference.

Why involve outside help when you could solve the problem yourself? Pansy's parents were unwilling to sit through the questions that would come with their complaint. Yes, it was unusual for a Werewolf to be without a pack, let alone attack without reason but this just added to the thought that everyone believed this to be a deliberate attack. They knew not who within their house that night had been the target but they were reluctant to take chances with a Ministry who was likely to condemn them at first chance and blame the ordeal on enemies made in war. No, the Ministry wasn't one to help. Even though the war was over the Ministry was still corrupted and riddled with power hungry people.

Naturally questions had been asked and friends had been taken away by their parents. Neville had put up a fight when his Grandmother came to collect him but she wouldn't take no for an answer. It was the same with everyone else until only the Slytherin's remained. It wasn't anti-Slytherin behaviour that made the others yank their children away but in times of uncertainty grains of old behaviour still lingered. It didn't help that Death Eaters were still being rounded up and there were still outbreaks of violence. Evil wouldn't stop just because Voldemort had fallen.

There was something unnerving about having to stand in a line in front of one's parents. You'd try to look at the ground or avoid their gaze and you'd be a goner if you made eye contact with them. Even more unnerving was standing in a line with your friends, having to avoid not just your own parent's eyes but others as well. Hermione, Draco, Adrian, Millie, Goyle, Daphne, Blaise, Pansy, Marcus and Theo stood in a line waiting for the tyrant of lectures that would come from their parents. Though it wasn't their fault, none of them would put it past their parents to make it so.

"What were you thinking?!"

Oh hell, here it comes thought each Slytherin respectively.

"You are complete idiots!"

"Did we not bring you up better than this?"

"I am so disappointed in you all."

"This is a disgrace."

Hermione ever the one to be logical couldn't help but feel confused at the comments received. She'd expected to be quizzed on why a Werewolf attacked the Parkinson's house and what they had done to provoke it. Yet she got the feeling that what was being said wasn't leaning towards that answer.

"You stupid boys," scolded Theo's Father.

Oh shit was the combined thought in each boy's head.

Adrian's Father looked livid, "where were you? Hiding, cowering, you pathetic children aren't men at all!" he shouted. "If you were men you wouldn't have run away with your tail between your legs and left a little girl to do your job."

Hermione was about to complain about that comment for she was certainly NOT a little girl but a slight shake of her Mother's head stopped her burning desire to comment.