Popularity is Scary - Watch Out for False Friends...

As always: all rights go to J.K. Rowling

Chapter Six - Popularity is Scary - Watch Out for False Friends...

Hermione could easily be recognised in between classes from the cans of Cherryade she carried with her. It had always been a weakness she carried over from the muggle world and had strangely been one of the only fizzy drinks her dentist parents had allowed her to drink without complaint. It might seem bizarre for her to become attached to it now but really Hogwarts needed to expand what it had. She didn't see the harm in introducing this delicious drink to those around her. She used to drink it like a dirty little secret in the Hogwarts kitchens but why hide anymore? It was about time some muggle aspects made their way into the Wizarding World.

She could hear the giggling behind her and wished it would stop. She could handle the staring by now and the whispering was just an annoying sound but the giggling...the giggling Hermione couldn't stand.

"Would you two stop giggling and stalking me!"

That shut her stalkers up momentarily. They looked slightly put out by her outburst. Sharing a dorm with them for six years had not made her tolerance levels any higher when it came to the laughter of Lavender Brown and Pavarti Patil.

"We just wanted to hang out with you."

"Yeah come sit with us and tell us all about the hot boys in Slytherin."

"You never wanted to be my friend before."

"You were boring before," said Lavender.

"Now you're hot," added Pavarti.

Hermione frowned, "so before you were embarrassed to be seen with me but now that I have what you're after you want to be friends?"

"Ok you make it sound bad when you say it like that. I would like a fresh start at being friends with you but not just because of your changes. I wanted to say thank you for saving me in the battle of Hogwarts," said Lavender. "Plus Blaise is your brother and he's really hot. So is Draco and you could introduce us..."

"Why?"

"It's not like you have a chance. You may now be beautiful but you're still the same old Granger," said Pavarti. "I'd love to sink my teeth into Draco. Don't think you're in his league because you never will be!"

"Pavarti!" Lavender stood with her mouth over, shocked at her friend's behaviour.

"Showing your true colours at last Patil?"

"I'm really sorry Hermione, I did really just want to be your friend," said Lavender as she pulled Pavarti away before she caused any more damage.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

 The boys were lounging around on the sofas while the girls were gossiping at their feet when the door to the common room banged open.

"Uh oh," muttered Daphne.

Seething, was the only word to describe how Hermione was feeling. How dare Pavarti say those things! Hermione didn't fault Lavender, she had been obsessive when it came to Ron but was otherwise harmless and seemed genuine in her hope to be friends. Pavarti however had a vindictive streak in her, one that had been hidden till now.

"Hermione, are you alright?" asked Daphne.

"Un-fucking-believable."

She turned on the group, her eyes blazing with fury, "tell me, if you wanted to be friends with someone how would you do it?"