The Morning Came and the Whirlwind Began

Chapter Five - The Morning Came and the Whirlwind Began

Hermione woke up the following morning feeling refreshed and relaxed. She sat up in her bed, pushed her hair from her face and wondered where on earth that annoying tapping sound was coming from. As she stood up and walked in the direction of the bathroom, the tapping increased and looking up she realised it was an owl tapping at the window and carrying an impossibly large package.

She allowed the owl entry into the dorm and gave it several owl treats as a reward for carrying such a large parcel. She smiled at the parcel's wrapping; Slytherin green and silver of course but it was from her Mother and oh wow contained her new wardrobe.

The clothes had been shrunk to fin so she took them out before enlarging them again. Some of the clothes looked so magnificent. They were clothes that she never would have worn as Hermione Granger and even now as she looked at the clothes she had her doubts.

Anything is possible she supposed. She guessed that since she had a new name it might be good to have a new image as well. She always wanted her last year at Hogwarts to go out with a bang and here was her chance. She often wanted to shed the know-it-all image she had and there had always been more to her than books and knowledge but no one had ever noticed.

Even being friends with Harry and Ron from aged eleven, they'd never seen her as more than a bossy book obsessed student and they hardly recognised that she was a girl. Staying with Bill and Fleur during the summer had shown Hermione that there were actually people out there who were willing to get to know her for more than just her surface.

She was a girl for goodness sake, even if the rest of the world didn't see her as such.

It took her longer than expected to write down what she wanted to send to Bill and Fleur. She wanted to get things right and hoped against hope that she'd still have their support once they read what had happened. She considered the two of them family and didn't want to lose that. She sent the letter off with the owl that had stayed after delivering her clothes. It was hers she'd realised after reading the note her Mother had sent. She stroked the owls light brown wings, he was truly beautiful. She named him 'Gar', simply because it fitted regardless of how random a name it seemed.

"Please can you take this letter to Bill and Fleur Weasley? Oh and wait for a response."

Gar nipped Hermione's finger affectionately and flew off out the window with the letter attached to his leg.

Hermione was looking through her new clothes selection where the other girls in her dorm finally woke up. Usually she'd be dressed by now and sitting in the common room checking over the homework of Harry and Ron but not anymore. When McGonagall had become Headmistress, she created a new rule – based off what she'd read about muggle schools – and that was that 7th years were now allowed to wear their own clothes under their school robes. It was to give them a bit of freedom and make them feel more adult. However, Hermione secretly thought it was McGonagall's was of allowing the returning seventh years to actually have a chance of being teenagers without worry.

"I see your clothes came then."

"Yeah but I don't know what to wear. I don't even know what suits me. I've never been into this stuff before."

"No time like the present."

"Yeah, didn't you say you wanted to have the best last year ever?"

Hermione nodded "will you help me?"

"Of course. Everyone knows that Slytherin girls dress the best," smirked Pansy.

With help from the girls, Hermione was transformed from not knowing what to do with her newfound appearance to ruling the school with her outfits. Pansy even created a visual chart for Hermione should she ever struggle with what to wear. It seemed very until the old Hermione to be so excited about clothes and other things but she was tired of being the wallflower. It was time the secret passions she had become known to all. She really just wanted to be a teenager in the last year that would allow her that, and really, everyone is allowed to change who they are.