Bittersweet Desires

As always: all rights go to J.K. Rowling

Chapter Ten - Bittersweet Desires

"Have you seen Hermione?" asked Blaise.

"No I haven't," said Draco.

"Is there something wrong?"

"I don't know why?"

"I just have a brotherly feeling that I need to punch someone," said Blaise.

At that, Draco sped up and away.

Why are people running from me? Thought Blaise. First Hermione and now Draco.

Blaise walked outside and around the grounds but he couldn't see his sister. It was Pansy who ended up finding Hermione.

"Hermione what are you doing here?" asked Pansy.

"Oh I was feeding the thestrals. I don't find them scary anymore."

"Have you been out here long?"

Hermione shook her head.

"Blaise is looking for you by the way. Do you know why? He seemed anxious."

"I expect he wants to ask me what happened."

"What did happen?" asked Pansy.

"Nothing."

"You're lying."

"Maybe."

"We're best friends, can't you tell me?"

"I don't want to embarrass myself again."

"Was it Draco?" asked Pansy.

Hermione paled.

"Did he do something?"

"He did nothing but show me how stupid I've been."

"I don't understand."

"I miscalculated something and now I have the answer I wanted. Don't worry about it Pansy, I'm over it."

Pansy didn't believe Hermione for a second but she sensed that she wasn't going to get the truth from her. At least if Blaise asked her what was wrong she could say that it had something to do with Draco.

"I wish you'd trust me enough to tell me but I'll understand your need for privacy."

"Thank you."

"So the ball's coming up. Are you going with anyone?"

"No," said Hermione.

"Why not?"

"There is no one willing to take me for just me."

"What are you talking about? Plently of people would kill to take you Hermione."

"Yeah but it won't be for the right reasons."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that no one will ask because they want to go with Hermione. They'll want to go because of my change in appearance, my new family name or because they want a chance at humiliating me."

"So you won't go with anyone because you're afraid they'll have asked you for your looks, your family or to humiliate you? That's a bit of a big assumption."

"It's not an assumption Pansy it's the truth. I've seen how people look at me. I've seen the judgment in their eyes. I've seen the curiosity and I've heard the whispers."