Chapter 10

"You can't tell anyone about this."I said as I drove back to Rosey and Phoenix's house.

"I know."

The majority of the car ride was silent. I was too busy worrying about my mom and curious about my dad to hold a conversation.

"Are you okay?" Phoenix asked concerned.

"Yeah, just thinking." I told him.

"About your parents?" He concluded.

"Yeah....I just....can't believe there's a chance my dad is still alive." That sentence ate at my stomach and made it turn.

The car ride went back to silence and as we pulled onto the street Rosey's house was on, I realized I had to pull myself together. Put on the mask that covers my feelings. Rosey can't know about this. I didn't even want Phoenix involved, although I'm glad he knows. At least I have one person in my life I can talk to. I mean someone who will be with me when my mom, dad and John can't be around. I just don't want Phoenix getting hurt.

"We can't tell Rosey." I stated walking to the front door.

"I know." He nodded.

I took one last deep breath, getting myself together before walking in the house.

"Hey where have you guys been? It's already 6:30. Rosey asked.

"Um... we were just talking to my mom. When she saw Phoenix with me, she couldn't help, but interrogate him. Plus I still had to get more clothes." I lied.

My mom totally would have done that to Phoenix. She is very overprotective especially when it comes to guys. She wants to make sure they are good enough for me. So far none have been.

"Oh....well I ordered pizza again if you guys want some." She offered.

"Sounds good." Phoenix said walking into the kitchen.

"So what's tonight's plans?" I asked biting into my 5th slice of pizza.

"I don't know, up to you guys. Hey, I should go call my mom." Rosey replied excusing herself from the table.

I couldn't help, but be worried about my mom when Rosey mentioned hers. Where is she? Are they hurting her? I can't even bare the thought of someone hurting her. It just makes me so aggravated!

"So when are we going to leave to go find your mom?" Phoenix asked taking me away from my depressing thoughts.

"We?"

"Yeah when are WE leaving to get your mom back."

"Phoenix, I don't think you should go. It's too dangerous you could-"

"So could you. You could get hurt. I don't want that happened." Phoenix interrupted.

As much as I wanted Phoenix to come, I can't be selfish. He isn't prepared for this. This is a world I wish didn't exist. I wish the world where kids got murdered and tortured and where people's goal in life is to hurt and destroy didn't exist. I don't want him to be part of that world.

"You're not trained." I said coming up with an excuse for him not to get involved.

"I can beat you in a fight." He stated matter-of-factly.

He had me there. Then again that was just messing around. Sure I was distracted by his body, but the people in this field won't be. They go for the kill.

"This is different. These people have weapons and they will use them. They don't care who you are. They will kill you if they get the chance." I explained.

"Fine, then train me." He simply stated.

"What?"

"If it's so dangerous then train me." He repeated.

Why does he have to keep pushing this? I've been training for 9 years. I can't just get him ready to go into this field in a couple of days.

"It's too dangerous."

"Marie, I'm going whether you train me or not. You can't stop me." he stated boldly trying to leave no room to argue.

"UGH! Can't you see I'm trying to protect you?!" I said raising my voice.

I shouldn't have been so loud. I didn't want Rosey asking questions.

"I don't want to see you get hurt." I said lowering my voice.

"I don't want to see you get hurt either." he admitted.

"I've been trained for this. It's my job to protect my mom."

"Whose job is it to protect you?"

It was clear to me that no matter what I said Phoenix would have a counter argument. What's the point? He is just too stubborn for his own good. I just hope that stubbornness doesn't get him hurt.

"Fine, we will start tomorrow at 5 a.m. sharp." I stated giving in.

"Yes! WAIT 5 A.M?"

Let's just say that yesterday 5 a.m. seemed like a good idea and today feels like death.

"Good morning, Cupcake." Phoenix smirked.

"You're too chipper." I said crankily.

He just laughed as I went to make myself a cup of coffee.

"Okay today let's just focus on fist to fist. Now before you say some bull about being able to beat me, I'm taking technique." I explained.

"Alright." he nodded.

I started by showing him certain pressure points on the body. I showed him how you can knock someone out just by grabbing a vein on the neck. This could be helpful for offense or defense. I taught him how to get out of moves and just simply keep himself safe.

"Okay, now time to practice, then shower." I announced.

"Sounds good."

"I'm going to put you in one of the moves I showed you and you simply need to get out. Once you have accomplished that then we will switch roles." I informed him.

I started with something easy, a head lock. He quickly lifted me up from my waist and threw me back over his shoulder effortlessly.

"Nice." I congratulated getting up.

"Thanks."

"Alright. Switching roles."

He slyly grabbed my arm and turned it around my back applying enough pressure for me to be uncomfortable. This is nothing I can't handle. I stomped on his foot then head butted him.

"Ouch that kinda hurt Cupcake." Phoenix faked whined trying not to smile.

"Awe... I'm sorry. Now go shower you stink." I told him.

"Oh do I?" he smiled mischievously.

"No, stay back!:" I said putting my hand up motioning him to keep his distance.

"Oh c'mon Cupcake don't I deserve a hug after all that hard work?" he smiled.

"No!" I yelled trying to pass him.

Keyword 'trying'. He got me right as I was about to pass him.

"Ah, Phoenix!" I laughed.

"What? I don't stick do I?" he asked rhetorically.

"Go shower!" I laughed pushing him off.