Chapter 22

Marie's POV

"Dad just let mom go." I told him.

"I will, once I get what I want." He stated simply. 

I just shook my head in disgust. 

"What? Have a problem with me?" He asked acting hurt. 

I decided to put things in perspective for him. Give him a chance to finally understand what he's choosing to do. 

"Do you remember when you were first teaching me about the CIA? How you told me everyone plays their own part?" He nodded slowly. "Well dad, you're playing the cheater. you play everyone and then just leave them. You are the one everyone trusted, but shouldn't have. You betrayed your family, friends, your country. So what ever it is you need, just take it and get out of my life!" I shouted tears threatening to escape. 

"I will when you give me your notebook." 

Why does he need my notebook? It's just full of a bunch of things I might need like numbers and some sketches from this whole ordeal. 

"I don't know why you need it, but I'm not giving you anything until mom is standing by my side." I told him. 

He nodded, and walked back to the car. My heart broke when I saw her. She looked so defeated, so broken. It crushed my heart and made my anger grow. My dad would pay for this.

"Alright Marie, now hand me your notebook." He instructed. 

"Why do you need it?" 

"I put something important in those pages." He answered. 

That makes no sense, I've flipped through these pages more times then I can count, the only other things in there other than my sketches and notes, are these random letters and numbers I drew in there. I don't remember why I did it, but it's there nonetheless. 

"I've looked in those pages, there is nothing of use to you." I explained to him.

"That letter number sequence is." He said. 

"That thing I wrote as a kid? Why would that be important? Why did you even come back?!" 

"I knew that you would never figure it out. I also knew it would be safe till I needed it. Plus it was too risky to have it on me." 

"Wow, if this was your plan, why even have a family?" 

"I wanted to have a kid to take my place when I get too old."

"Ha. There is no way I will be anything like you! Ever!" 

"Oh, but you already are, I've raised you like me. The fact that you carry that notebook is just proof." 

I was disgusted with my father and his selfish ways, more than anything though, I am disgusted with myself for being anything like him. 

"Here." I said throwing him my small notebook. "I don't want it!" 

He caught it without difficulty smiling in victory. Little did my father know, I was stalling so I could come up with a plan; now I have.

"Alright you have what you want, now go." I ordered. 

"You see the only problem with that is..." I already knew what he was going to say, so I put my hand on my gun and cocked it. " I don't want any witnesses." He said pulling out his gun. 

*Bang!

Well guys how's the cliff hanger? 

I know I haven't been updating a lot, and I apologize. A lot of things have been happening lately and I just, haven't been into it. The story is coming to a close and I hope you guys are enjoying it. Thank you for encouraging me to continue doing what I love. 

Now because I appreciate you all so much, I won't leave you with that big of a cliff hanger. No matter how tempting. 

I could feel the blood start oozing from from my shoulder as I fell to the ground. It was the same shoulder I had already got shot in. I sat up and looked at my dad. the difference between my dad and I is I don't miss a target. 

I couldn't help, but feel sad as I looked at my dad's body. Even after everything he was still my dad. He was still my dad even though eh shot me. I knew he tried to kill me, but he missed. I knew he tried because I saw the killer in those heartless eyes. 

"Marie!" I looked behind me to see my mom finally realizing what just happened. 

"Mom, are you okay?" 

"Marie! I am not the one who was shot. Are you okay?" 

"I'm so sorry Mom. I...I killed him. I killed da-" 

"Don't call him that. Anyone who would shoot their own daughter, isn't a father nor a dad." 

We stood there in silence before I remembered the phone call. 

"John?" 

"Marie, are you okay?" He asked. 

"Yeah, but you should bring an ambulance with you." 

"What?!" John, Rosey, and Phoenix yelled. 

"Look I just got shot in the shoulder, it's no big." I said trying to calm them. 

"NO BIG?!" Phoenix screamed. 

"John where's your location?" I asked ignoring Phoenix's outbursts. 

"Approximately two minutes from you." 

So my mom and I did the only thing we could do, wait. I'm pretty sure my mom's still in shock. She just lost her husband, again. I hope she can forgive me.

"Marie, the ambulance is going to take too long, let's go." John yelled helping me into the car as my mom followed.

"Nearest hospital will take ten minutes." He announced. "Keep pressure on that." 

The ride to the hospital felt like it was going on forever as my adrenaline wore out and the pain increased.  

"Phoenix won't stop calling. call him and tell him we are going to the hospital, he can meet us there." John said handing me the phone he grabbed when it fell out of my pocket when I was making my way to the car. 

Phoenix picked up on the first ring. "MARIE?!" 

"Phoenix, we're on our way to the hospital. do you want to meet us?" I said tying to hide the pain from my voice, but failing. 

"I'm on my way!" He said before hanging up. 

As I sat there, time seemed to slow, I looked around as John struggled to drive fast enough, and my mom struggled to remain calm. I thought about Phoenix and Rosey, how I've put them through so much. I smiled slowly as I thought about my family, because that was what they were to me, family. That's when my eyes slowly began to close. 

Last thing I heard was someone telling me to stay awake.