Chapter 8

Aelin's P.O.V

Rhysand led us into the restaurant. The large room was filled with tables and chairs, and decorations that filled the walls. There were paintings of tall mountains, snow-white dragons, and as I looked up, my eyes were immediately hooked. The ceiling was painted to look like the night sky, and it was beautiful. I saw the rest of my court staring in awe too. Little specks of white were dotted around the swirling hues of navy and black. The little specks were no doubt made to resemble the bright stars these people were famous for - After all, this new world was named The Night Court  for a reason. I realised the stars were actually small lights, that gave the room an atmosphere that made you feel that you were standing on your balcony as the clock striked 12, and I loved that feeling. This Velaris place would be a nice place to stay - I mean, the shops!

"The table is on the other side of the restaurant" Rhysand says. 

Rowan's P.O.V

There is no doubt that the restaurant is beautiful, and the streets and pathways are good enough for a hawk to roam through, but my mind keeps on giving me reality checks. What if we never manage to get out of this place? What if we're stuck here, and can never retrieve the wyrdkeys? We all have responsibilities, like Dorian as King of Adarlan, Aelin as Queen of Terrasen, but how will those lands fare with us not being there? Rhysand looked at me while I pondered, and I stared right back at him. Gosh, that swagger he had, his stride, reminded me so much of Aelin's attitude, that it was almost impossible to not like the guy. But he didn't have to know that. Rhysand smirked at me, as if he knew what I was thinking, and something sparkled in his eyes as he looked away. I stopped walking. Aelin, beside me, her face plastered with concern, mentally asked me what was wrong. I shook her off. 

"Daemati," I whispered. Rhysand flashed his little smirk again. 

"Took you so long? I would recommend keeping your mental shields up, mate," He replied. Aedion eyes widened.

"I thought the only Daemati that existed were the Valgs," He said, shaking his head. Aelin stared at him, frustrated.

'Can I join in warriors? What the hell is a Daemati?" She demanded.

"A person who has the ability to walk into people's minds and disable them from the inside. They could take over if the person's mental barriers didn't do their job, and humans don't even have mental barriers, making them very dangerous creatures," I said, emphasising on the last word. Aelin looked at Rhysand with a look I couldnt interpret. Elide, Dorian and Lysandra looked at each other, with alarm in their eyes, automatically sensing their vulnerability. Rhysand laughs and shakes his head.

"Only the mean guys do that, and TRUST me, I'm not one," He stops laughing and gazes off, his eyes serious and far away. I believe him, I mean, that look only comes from people who speak the truth. I nod, and so does Aedion and Aelin. They must sense it too. Rhysand smiles, not like his smirk, but a grateful smile. It suits him.

"There's our table," He says, and points to the large one in the corner, with 4 people sitting there and a number 8 sign on the table. Aelin walks beside me, with the rest of us behind. I can tell she wants to see them quickly, so we pick up the pace, and suddenly we're standing right in front of the Number 8 sign, and in front of the 4 people, looking at us. Rhysand observes all of us.

"Well, this is my inner Court. What do you think?"

___________________________________________________

xxx