1|Straight Outta Russia

"Plie', tombe, pota bore, arabesque and then glissade, grande jete." I nodded, and then returned to the far corner of the room to repeat the combo. 5...6...7...8 counted in my head, and then I was off. "Get that leg over ninety! You can do better than that! Straighten your leg!" Once landing the leap, I jogged over to the barre to grab my water bottle. "You'll never win the competition with a leap like that." Mrs.  Baranovskaya critiqued me.

I nodded, regaining control of my breathing. In my haste to finish the combo, I had nearly forgotten, "Mrs. Baranovska,"

"Yes, Valentina?"

"Next week, I'm going out of town to see my family in Japan for the remainder of the month, just a heads up."

"Thank you. You are dismissed."

-

I removed my ballet shoes and put them in my bag before slipping on a pair of sweatpants and a cardigan over my maroon lace leotard. I waved at the receptionist, before starting my walk home. It was snowing here in Russia, the place I call my home. I was born here, and then my parents moved to Japan because of my dad's job as a salesman. I moved back here alone two years ago to work on dance. I have an older sister and brother, Anna, who is 24, and Dimitry, who was 20. I was the youngest at 15. Valentina Nikolaev.

My parents had planned a vacation for me to come see them next week, and I would stay there until the end of the dance season. As I was making my way down the bridge to my apartment, I bumped into a boy about my age staring at his phone. I tripped, and fell onto the ground, my knees cracking against the pavement. "Hey, look where you're going!" The boy shouted at me, turning around.

I got a better look at him. He was blonde and clad in animal print. He carried a bag on his shoulder and a phone in his hand. I frowned at his snide remark. "You're one to talk, you've were staring at your phone!"

He clicked his tongue. "Whatever. You aren't worth my time."

"Oh yeah, and what makes you so high and mighty?"

"Idiot. I'm Yuri Plisetsky. Famous figure skater. I have places to be right now."

"Yeah, and I'm Valentina Nikolaev, world record holding dancer, and I want to get home and eat for the first time today, so we're even!"

We both stared at each other for a second, trying to comprehend just who we were, then Yuri turned and huffed. "Whatever. Bye hag."

I scowled. "What did you just call me?"

"A hag. You got a problem?"

"You bet I do! I'm fifteen, that hardly counts for a hag!"

"The bags under your eyes say otherwise!"

"Nobody asked you!"

"Just leave me alone... hag!"

"I hate you Yuri Plisetsky!"

"The feeling is mutual... whoever you are!"

I screamed and huffed at the same time, and then turned on my heel and marched away before I had realised what I had done. I had yelled at Yuri Plisetsky. The Yuri Plisetsky...Who was he anyway? I didn't pay attention to skating at all, besides doing it once or twice in Japan.

That idiot...

-

One week later and I was standing at the terminal at the airport, looking for my Mother and Father. I stoond on my tippy-toes, and when that doesn't work, I rolled onto pointe, inwardly cursing myself for doing so. Idiot, you broke your toe two months ago on pointe, do you have a death wish? It was worth it when I saw my graying mother standing with my father and siblings with a tiny sign that read "Valentina is the best!"

I threw my hands up in the air, recklessly abandoning my suitcase, and ran towards them. "Mother! Father! Dimitry! Anna!" I tackled them in a massive group hug, which they warmly returned. I ran back to grab my suitcase, and then returned to hug them again.

"Look at how big you've grown!" Mother exclaimed, grabbing me by the shoulders.

"Your hair is so pretty!" Anna joined in, grabbing a piece of my light brown locks that matched everyone else's.

My brother came around behind me and put me in a headlock. "Hey sis!"

My father just looked at me sympathetically, watching as I dealt with my crazy family, before giving me a gentle hug.

-

Once home, I flopped down on my old bed. My room was still decorated with pictures of famous dancers and pointe shoes. Giving a soft smile, I turned off the light and fell into a deep sleep. I was awakened at two in the morning by my phone letting off a small ding. I grabbed it and checked the message. Message from Mrs. Baranovskaya. I have... What? I unlocked my phone and read the whole message.

I have an opening for you to come to a dance convention the week after you get back. You will be performing your lyrical solo, and your ballet solo we have been working on. This is mandatory, so please be prepared to work hard in class when you return.

I sighed. So basically, after I get back, I have one week to learn a dance for a performance. Great. I shut my phone and went back to bed, trying to regain the sleep I had lost.

Because of my early excursion, I woke up closer to nine, rather than my usual eight. I groaned as the sun hit my eyes, and buried my head in my pillow. My newfound peace was soon ruined however when a knock came at my door. I mumbled out a 'come in', and the door cracked open to reveal my brother standing there. "Rise and shine sis." He said, sitting on the edge of my bead. "I want to go ice skating today." My brother loved ice skating. He was amazing at it, but refused to compete. He didn't want to 'sell away his life, and focus on his education,' which was fine with me, I loved the thrill of performing. I nodded sleepily, and rolled over, knocking him off of the bed. "Ow! I forgot how strong you were!" He said, picking himself off of the ground.

I grinned. "Remember that the next time you wake me up."

"You bet I will."

"I'll be downstairs in... eh 30 minutes..." I yawned, sleepily, propping myself up on my elbows.

"I'll be waiting. Oh, and there's something I wanna tell you about!"

"Yes?"

"There's an ice skating competition coming up while you're here. It's called Hot Springs on Ice!"

"Really? Who's in it?"

"Our childhood friend Yuri Katsuki and Yuri Plisetsky!"

"WHAT?!" Wasn't that the kid from the sidewalk?!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words: 1113

Hey guys! Pan-chan here! That's right, the ever (not) famous Panda-chan, has come out with another book!

I know most people hate reading A/Ns, so I'll make this snappy. The picture in the media (that should be there) is of Valentina (Vah-len-tea-nuh). If it isn't there, it's the girl on the cover. I'm a huge Yuri On Ice junky, and I'm honestly sad that S1 is ending THIS WEDNESDAY! Like, didn't it JUST START?! WAAAAAAAAHHHHHH so sad.

So yeh, Christmas is coming soon, so I might do a roleplay type thingy in here, or a chatroom for that so check that out. Also, if you read my other books, I will be making a Christmas special for Scales of Water, so look for that.

I must be off, so I'll see you guys in the next chapter!

-Panda-chan!!!