5| Not Finished

Valentina
The ride to the ER was full of my pain and tears. I knew Mrs. Baranovskaya was on her way, and my family would probably soon come after.

I wasn't as much scared for my knee. It would recover in due time. I was scared though, for my dance life. Could I dance again? What would happen if I did?

Once in the hospital, I was sedated and apparently they reset my knee and put my in a thigh to calf brace.

I don't know, I don't remember, that's what they told me. At 11:45 my parents and siblings came bursting in, a mess of tears and worry. My mom was muttering: 'are you ok?' 'What's wrong?' What hurts?' And as much as I love her concern, I was fine and I really just wanted to go to bed.

Mrs. Baranovskaya had arrived around 8:00 and we had discussed my fate. I wouldn't dance until the doctor cleared me, and then I would take it easy. So, in the meantime I was to go back to Japan to rest with my family and take some time off of my career.

I happily agreed, happy to go back to Japan with my family and Yuri and Viktor. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad,

Because sometimes we have to experience the pain so that we can start a new chapter in our book of life.
-
Monday
I was two days in to my three weeks off of the stage. Currently, I was being a hot headed little baby because I couldn't dance. My parents eventually got frustrated and sent me to Ice Castle so I would stop whining.

So my brother drove me over to see another Yuri and Viktor rehearsal. As soon as I stepped foot in the door, Yuri came flying at me, slowing only to not hurt me with his massive bear hug. "Don't scare us like that." He muttered while squeezing the life out of me.

I gave a light chuckle and wobbled on my uncomfortable crutches. "I'll try."

Viktor even hugged me, which I thought was nice seeing as we were both from the same country and shared a friendship with Yuri. "Thanks Viktor." I replied when he told me to take it easy and be safe.

"No problem. A friend of Yuri's is a friend of mine."

And friendship ensued.
-
Thursday
Boredom doesn't even scratch the surface of what I'm feeling right now. My parents, Anna, and Dimitry wanted me to sit and breathe easy, while I wanted to paint the town and all that jazz.

Needless to say, I was getting restless, and it wasn't good. So one day, I got Dimitry to take me to the rink after Yuri and Viktor left. He sighed as he leaned against the railing surrounding the ice. "What do you want this time?"

I gave him a devilish grin. "I've been doing some observing, and I want to choreograph you an ice skating routine."

Three...two...one!

"What?" He screeched, nearly falling into the ice. He quickly picked himself up and rushed over to me. "No, No, No, you're hurt, nothing active for you."

I glared at him. "I'm taking it easy, I promise. Do you think I want to be immobile for three weeks?"
-
Wednesday
I finished my routine for Dimitry, and I must say, as a non skater I did pretty well.

In the meantime, Yuri had gone off to compete in his first competition before the Grand Prix Finals, so while Dimitry was showering after practice, I was icing my leg and watching Yuri and Viktor's interview.

It was obviously hard for Yuri to be on TV answering questions, and he was sweating. I placed my head in my hands and didn't look up until he announced his topic. "My topic this year is love!" Good Yuri, use your confidence. I smiled as he boldly explained his topic and said he was going to win the Grand Prix.

-

Saturday

Only one more week until I could get back on the stage and dance. Dimitry and I were still working on my attempt at an ice routine, but he would tweak where I made things unrealistic on ice.

Note to self: you can't do drops on the ice.

The brace was bearable at first, but now my knee was silently cursing me for keeping it straight and stuck for so long.

I'm losing my patience, and my sanity.

-

Saturday - A Week Later

"Praise the Lord, get me to the hospital and get this thing off of me!" I squealed as Anna helped me into the car. Yuri and Dimitry were talking as the famous skater and his teacher decided to accompany me to my appointment. I threw my crutches into the trunk of my parents SUV and accidentally hit Dimitry who was climbing in.

"Watch where you throw those things!" He scolded me, rubbing his head.

"Stop yelling!" Anna yelled at my childish brother.

"I don't know what's going on!" I screamed, throwing my hands into the air exasperatedly.

Yuri just put his head in his hands, letting our sibling quarrel rage on. "Can we just go?" I finally yelled, and my parents pulled out of the driveway and headed towards the hospital.

Once we arrived at the hospital, I could feel my nerves returning. What if something was wrong and I couldn't go back to dance? What if it happened again? Too many questions were swirling around in my head for me to figure out. I slid out of the van and grabbed my crutches before hobbling inside.

The lady behind the desk directed us towards room 216 where the doctor would take off my brace/cast thing and show my how to use my new knee brace that would fix my knee. Nervous didn't even begin to describe how I felt.

I sat on the examination table felt cold and hard as I hoisted myself up onto it. I a knock was heard at the door and we told the person to come in.

This is it.

The moment of truth.

-

"You're serious?"

"Yes."

"So, this is reality. I'm not dreaming?"

"Nope, you are cleared to dance again." The doctor told me, leaving my mouth to hang agape at his words. I was perfectly fine? No surgery, no nothing?

I leapt off of the table, know that I actually could in my mobile brace. "I'm free!" I squealed, dancing around in little circles as though I was a six year old being told that they were guaranteed an endless supply of candy.

"Calm down tiger." Dimitry laughed, resting his arm on my head as Yuri and Anna hugged me. My parents were the next to cheer for me and shower me with hugs and kisses.

I'm not finished, I'm still going on my one way street to success!

-

Words: 1116

I'm actually quite satisfied with this chapter, I'm trying to make these more decent since this is my second most read book.

Anyway, feel free to comment with questions concerning any dance terminology I use or things regarding the story. I'm always open to answer any questions you may have!

I hope you enjoyed this!

-Panda~Chan