Arrival

I sat on the train watching as buildings flew past my window. My parents were making me move again, but this time we weren't just moving houses, we were moving countries.

I had been to London a few times before and I had always dreamed of going to college there. However, moving to London wasn't something I was particularly looking forward to, especially since I had to leave everything behind. My parents made me move on account of my father getting a new job. We had moved states before for his job but this was the first time we went over seas for it. I was starting to think that his job wasn't worth it.

The train went to a screeching hault as my mom got up, signaling for me to grab our bags and head off the train. I tucked my long black hair out of my face as I reached down below my seat to grab my backpack. I also grabbed my suitcase from overhead, including my mom's who was impatiently waiting at the door of our train car.

"Hurry up, we don't have all of the time in the fucking world, Gray." My mother spoke with a harsh voice, grabbing her suitcase from my hands. She never really liked me and I had no idea why, it wasn't like she had any other children.

"Sorry." I replied angrily, following her out of the train car and into a busy train station. All around me were hoards of people carrying bags and hurrying to wherever they needed to go. Suddenly, I made eye contact with a peculiar looking man standing next to a newspaper stand. There was something unsettling about him. Something sinister in his eyes maybe, or the fact that they were a very unnatural shade of bright red. A wide, terrifying grin began to form on his face but I didn't get a chance to react as I ran into a man carrying about 20 copies of a newspaper.

As I scrambled to pick up the pieces of flying paper, I tried to look back and see if the man was still there, but there were too many people. My mom hit me on the back of the neck after I apologized to the man.

"What were you doing?! We have a very tight schedule to keep and if we don't get to the house before your father does I won't hear the end of it, now come on!" She yanked my arm but I was too deep into my own thoughts to react. The man had frightened me but also intrigued me, not only were his eyes red but his teeth were razor sharp. I felt like little red riding hood staring at the big bad wolf.
_________

We arrived at the house in less than an hour, it was an old house, one filled with creaky wood and vermin. Mom had me put my bag in a room which she decided was to be my bedroom. I hadn't even learned the layout of the house yet.

Unpacking went on for a good week until I started school. The high school I ended up going to was pretty nice despite only having to go for less than a year. I had already turned 18, so I was basically the oldest kid in my grade. I hadn't even applied for colleges yet since the move had taken up so much of my time.

The first day of anything is always the worst. You'll never know the outcome of the first day, who you become friends with, what kind of day you'll end up having, or what kind of things you will come to like or dislike. I was terrified.

"Hi, I'm Gray. I moved here from Washington." That was what I had to say to every class I went into. No one ever gave a damn, half of them weren't even listening. So after a week of no one bothering to talk to me, I decided to stop trying to make friends.
________

That night I had the strangest dream, it was a reoccurring dream that I had been having since I moved in:

I awaken in pitch black, struggling to see what is in front of me. A glowing red eye suddenly opens in front of me, then two eyes, then ten eyes, then a hundred. I try to scream but when I open my mouth the eyes go down my throat. I gag and cough but they wont leave. I begin to choke. I resort to clawing my throat open and reaching inside, trying to pull them out, but it only makes them go in further.

I lay there, drowning, hoping something would save me. Suddenly, a deep voice says my name in a low whisper, "Gray." The whole world around me begins to change into a graveyard lit by moonlight.

A figure stands above me, its eyes matching those that dug their way into my throat. It reaches out a claw like hand and touches my burning forehead, cooling it with its hands which feel like ice.

I can breathe again. "Thank you." I say, "who are you?" It only laughs a terrifying laugh and vanishes, leaving me in the darkness once more. I begin to weep when suddenly I'm face to face with the beast. It's glowing red eyes inches from mine and it's teeth bared, ready to strike.

I awoke with a jolt. It was around 3 am as I desperately climbed out of my bed to get water. The glass sat on a table across from me since I was so used to this dream happening. I gulped down the water and sighed, slumping against the wall to the floor. I tried to recall what had happened in this dream that was different from the last. I rushed to my desk where I kept a small book which I used to write this reoccurring dream in. Each entry grew longer and longer. I quickly jotted the dream down as I decided to read over my previous entries:

1. Pitch black room, bright red eyeballs opening. Very unsettling.

2. Pitch black room, eyes opening, they all go into my throat?!

3. Ditto to last night except I have to rip my throat out...

4. Ditto last night, I drown but then get saved by a voice saying my name, sounds like a man

5. Deep voice I heard last night takes me to graveyard and stands above me, touches my forehead...

6. Deep voice touches forehead then I get to talk b/c I'm not choking anymore. I ask it who it is and it laughs in response. I've never heard a laugh so terrifying in my life.

7. Deep voice laughs and then leaves me in a pitch black room again where I start crying.

The dream gets more and more dense as I look back on all of my entries. The newest one is the closest I had ever been to the figure. His eyes looked so familiar but I couldn't remember from where since the whole week of the move in was so hectic and everything sort of blended together.

I sighed, realizing that sleep was out of the question.

The next few weeks of my life, however, were surprisingly dream free, as in I had no dreams at all!

Until Monday night...