A Monster in the Night

His face grew nearer and nearer. His eyes were glowing red, his skin was the color of snow, his teeth were like knives and his breath smelled like blood. I tried to push him away but soon all I could see were his ruby red eyes. Suddenly, they transformed into a human heart that I held in my hands. It was dripping blood and still beating. I screamed and dropped it but it kept regenerating in my palms.

All around me were voices whispering and shouting, "take a bite, drink the blood." The voices grew louder and louder, telling me to drink. I could feel my eardrums bleeding from the noise and when I thought I couldn't take it anymore-

I screamed, suddenly awake. It was 3 am and I could hear a heinous noise coming from outside my bedroom window. Was that the noise that I had heard in my dream?

I rushed to the window and pulled open the blinds. Outside I saw three ambulances carting several people away. In addition there were dozens of police cars. All of the people that were being taken away looked badly injured, one of them was missing an arm, another looked like he had taken a bad beating. Then I saw a man being zipped into a black bag, indicating that he was dead. His interns were scattered everywhere.

For some reason, when I saw this I didn't feel queasy or ill, like I always did. I had always been prone to fainting from seeing stuff like this, especially in the movies. But now that it was actually happening, I felt nothing, it didn't feel real. What did this to them? It didn't look like a car crash or a street fight. They all looked pretty normal and there didn't seem to be any signs of a normal struggle. The road looked like a crater from the moon. It looked as if someone had been strong enough to smash a hole into the street! It was cracked and rubble was everywhere, even on some of the people who were sitting on the edge of the sidewalk, blankets wrapped around them. I assumed that they had seen the whole thing.

I quickly pulled on a grey velvet robe that I had gotten for my birthday as well as some slippers and rushed outside, I had to find out what happened. Once I got out I noticed my parents were already there, being questioned by the police.

"Dad, what's going on?" I asked, pulling him aside and anxiously tugging on his sleeve. He looked down at me, a worried expression on his face.

"Honey, you shouldn't be out here. Go back inside, it's too intense for you to see." He replied, nudging me back towards the house.

"I'm old enough to know, plus I've already seen the worst of it. A man's interns were everywhere! What the hell happened?!" I yanked on his shoulder.

Suddenly, a voice spoke from behind me, "You wouldn't believe it if we told you, not even the police will listen despite how much evidence there is." It was a woman who looked as though she had been to hell and back. She was sitting on the edge of the sidewalk, a blue blanket wrapped around her.

"What happened?" I moved in closer.

"It was like the devil himself had clawed his way up from hell and decided to punish humanity in his own twisted way."

"Was it a person who did this?"

"Ha! Honestly, do you believe that a human could take someone's attack dog and smash it into the road creating that?" The woman pointed at the large crater-like hole that was in the middle of the road.

"A dog?!" I asked, shocked.

"Yep. I was just up doing taxes, like every night this week, because I'm always last minute with the damn things. All the sudden I hear a blood curdling scream from outside my living room window. My table is right next to it, and as I look through it I see the devil himself holding some kind of dog, and I mean a big dog, like one you'd see in a horror movie that's got rabies or something. And it's just clawing and making all kinds of terrible noises in the beasts grip. It's owner was watching, a twenty something year old woman. God knows why she was out there so late, but her poor dog gets chucked on the street after it sinks its teeth into the monster. I kid you not, it sounded as if a bomb had just been dropped. That's all that's left of the poor animal." The woman gestured to a pool of blood and a few chunks of severed meat that were splattered both in and around the crater.

"Jesus..." I muttered to myself.

"Then the damn creature eats it, as if smashing it wasn't enough. Then it goes for the girl. But by the time that happens, half the block is out there watching. A few idiots try to intervene with their guns and muscle, but you saw what happened to one of them. The devil split open a man's stomach after eating the girl's arm. Eventually it leaves once it hears the sirens, vanishes, disappears, gone. Turned into the mist of the night, the fucker." The woman's voice was cold and angry.

"What did it look like, the monster I mean?"

"It's hard to describe, though it definitely wasn't human. However, it did have some human features like its face, scared the hell outta me when I saw it's eyes-"

"Eyes? What color were they?" I asked, cutting her off.

"The brightest red I've ever seen, it was like looking into a fire. And it's teeth, dear god, I can't even imagine the pain that poor woman must have felt when the demon took her arm. I'm just praying that it won't come back again, for its sake." The woman then got up and walked back toward a house that I assumed was hers.

I stood there for a moment, thinking. Was that monster the same one from my dreams? It was crazy for me to think that the monster I've been having dreams about was the same one that attacked my street. Were my dreams trying to tell me something?

"Gray! Get inside the house, now!" My mother yelled, ushering me back inside. I didn't care much though, I had already discovered what I needed to know. Then I thought about what the woman had said, it better not come back, for its sake. If my dreams really were about the monster then I might be able to predict when it will strike next and maybe even stop it.

The monster wasn't too bad considering that I had been only inches away from his face. Then I began to worry. Why was it only me who was having these dreams? Or was everyone on the street having them and it was just a signal of his arrival to our neighborhood? I thought about this as I made my way to my room. I wasn't tired in the slightest, but I wanted a dark quiet place to rest.

As I laid my head down on my pillow I felt safe and warm, I was still wearing my robe and slippers. But then the room's atmosphere changed. It became colder and more still, as if everything in time had frozen except for me and the pair of glowing red eyes in the corner of my room.