3. Late Night Encounters

I could not get to sleep at all! I sat there in my bed for four hours trying to sleep. I remember when I was young and I spent the night at my friend’s house and I couldn’t get to sleep. Her mom came to check on us and saw me still awake. I told her I couldn’t sleep so she brought me into the kitchen; she poured me some like and warmed it up in the microwave until it was hot. I drank it all and fell asleep in less than ten minutes. I decided to try that out again so I got up and out of bed. I quietly opened my door and tip toed down the hall. I walked into the kitchen to see the light already on. I figured Niall was up getting a mid-night snack.

“Hey, bro.” I whispered. He turned around quickly, but it wasn’t Niall. It was Harry.

“Hi.” He smiled genuinely. I’ve never seen him smile at me like that before.

“What’re you doing up?” I asked.

“I got thirsty. What about you?”

“I couldn’t sleep.”

“Try heating up milk. That always helps me.”

“Yeah, that’s actually what I came down here to do.” I smiled. This is the best conversation I’ve ever had with him. Why is he so nice when we are alone? It’s not like he is trying to impress the boys by being a jerk. Maybe he’s just tired.

“Here.” He said. He handed me a coffee mug and I thanked him. He grabbed the milk out of the fridge and handed it to me. I poured it in then he took it back and put it away for me. I put it in the microwave and heated it up. It was a little awkward after that, because neither of us spoke.

“Harry. Who was that girl?” I asked him.

“Just some girl I met.” He shrugged.

“Why did she call you Edward?”

“I wasn’t looking for a long term relationship with her! I just gave her my middle name.”

“Why did you lie to her though?”

“I don’t know.”

“Why was it such a big deal if she knew your real name or not.”

“I don’t know! Why do you ask so many questions!?” He shot. I didn’t say anything and looked down at my hands. It was awkward again as the only sound was the microwave. “You don’t look like you’ve been sleeping, or in bed.” He told me all of a sudden.

“What?” I giggled.

“I mean, you’re hair. It looks…perfect.” He said quietly.

“That’s the nicest thing you’ve ever said to me.” I told him.

“I didn’t mean it looks pretty! I meant like…it looks as bad as it usually does. Like not messy like when you sleep and um…goodnight.” He said quickly. He scurried out of the kitchen and upstairs. The microwave beeped and I grabbed the milk out. I drank it slowly, thinking about what Harry said. I just shrugged it off and rinsed my cup out. I slowly and quietly went upstairs. I passed by someone’s room and heard light sobs. I pressed my ear to the door and I could hear them better. This person was really upset. I was about to knock on the door, but realized it was Harry’s room. I backed up and went into my bedroom again. I laid in my bed and stared at the ceiling.

Harry is acting really strange. He’s been acting nice to me when we are alone and saying my hair looks perfect. I was already in love with him while he was a jerk and now he’s being nice. People don’t just change like that. Knowing each other for four years and never saying something nice and then that? It’s so surreal! But really the big thing on my mind is why he was crying to himself. Maybe I should make sure he is ok. But he might just get mad at me for eavesdropping. Or he would appreciate that I care and stop being rude. He might’ve stopped or fallen asleep by now. Thoughts races all through my mind as I finally sat up in bed. Then stood up…then sat back down…then stood up again. Finally I convinced myself to check on him. If he was still crying I’d see if everything is ok, if he wasn’t then nobody would have to know and I’d go back to bed. I slowly walked out of the room and into the hallway. I tip toed to Harry’s room and listened. I couldn’t hear anything so I pressed my ear to the door. I heard something and pressed my ear harder onto the door, like that would help! Then the door moved from under me and I fell onto the ground. I looked up and saw Harry.

“Sorry, I thought I heard something…” I said nervously. Harry held out his hand and helped me up.

“What did you hear?” He asked curiously.

“Uh….a dog.” I said.

“A dog?”

“Yeah, I must be hearing things.” I sighed. I saw tear stains on his cheeks from the moonlight coming in through his window.

“You should go back to bed.” He sniffed.

“Are you ok?” I asked.

“I’m fine, why?”

“Well you sniffed…and your nose is red so I thought maybe you were getting a cold…or something.” I made up

“Nope, same old Harry.”

“Ok good.”

“Goodnight Makenna.

“Goodnight.” I said before walking back to my bedroom. He shut his door as I walked into my bedroom. I plopped down on my bed and let out a big sigh. Now even more thoughts went through my head. Trying to figure out why he was so upset. Maybe something happened with his family. Or he is feeling homesick from his family. Or maybe he is so depressed that I’m here that he is literally crying to himself. I decided to give it a rest and I shut my eyes and fell into a heavy sleep.