Chapter 16: Staying Safe

PETER PAN’S POV

Peter Pan laughed in triumph as he got Robert on his back and held his knee against the boy’s chest. The two just grinned at each other, before Peter stood and pulled Robert to his feet.

            “Every time, Pan, why do any of us try?” Robert chuckled, shaking his head and dusting himself off. Then he rubbed his backside comically, “I can’t use my lovely rump for a good whole day now!” The boys, in a surrounding circle, chuckled and cheered.

            Peter flicked his wrist, keeping the large bonfire behind them high, and stretched out his arms. “Who’s next, then?” he grinned. He loved when he won games, which was all the time, but still. Not that the boys even cared that he always won: he was their leader so of course he’d be the best, and it was all good fun. After dinner, the play fighting was a favorite of the boys when they weren’t dancing to Peter’s music.

            “Let’s give the new boy a chance,” Felix drawled, smirking, as he grabbed a slightly chubby, scared-looking brunette by the collar and shoved him forward. The Lost Boys hollered their approval, yelling both encouragement for Peter to beat him and taunts for the boy. Peter smirked as the boy’s blue eyes widened, so new, but all boys were initiated this way: they were tested and trained in fighting, hunting, and other sports the boys entertained themselves with for eternity.

            “What’s your name, boy?” Peter’s tone imitated Felix’s, teasing and just a bit threatening. He needed to be absolutely sure of who was boss.

            “C-Colin,” the boy stuttered, looking up at him from the ground with wide eyes. He was dressed in the tan pants and white shirt, dirty and scuffed already, he had come here in.

            Peter smirked. “Up then, Colin.” The boy scrambled to his feet, tripping over his blue-grey cloak. Peter eyed the cloak while the boy got his bearings. Still fairly clean, it was a nice but unusual color. He tried to think of where he’d seen such a lovely color before, but couldn’t.

            Once Colin was in what Peter assumed was his version of a fighting stance, Peter gracefully dipped into his own. The boy charged first, straight at Peter, so Peter easily sidestepped and tugged on the corner of the pretty blue cloak. The boy tripped and face planted into the dirt. Peter chuckled, but did clap—albeit sarcastically—when the boy stood and turned to face him again. He came at Peter, but not with as much speed or force, so he was able to stop in front of Peter and have control over his own body.

            Peter really couldn’t be bothered to remember the entire fight, because it really was easy. Of course. He did congratulate Colin in front of the boys, since he was a fast learner and had already improved. He also did manage to land one or two blows on Peter.

            Then he felt a twinge in the corner of his mind, like a cloth that was suddenly being pulled at. It was different than when the Shadow brought people, but it was a feeling he knew. He hadn’t felt it in quite a while, and would be lying if he said he wasn’t a bit excited.

            He walked behind the circle of boys, tapping Felix on the shoulder, and the two walked out of the camp without the Lost Boys even noticing. Peter led him into the forest a bit until they reached a bunch of trees that left a patch of bare ground on the edge of a cliff. Perfect for them to see out, but no one could see them. Looking out at the horizon, they saw a ship with a black flag.

            “The presence, there’s an aura that feels a bit familiar. It’s faint, though,” Peter started as they both stared at it.