Chapter 25: The Blind, Beautiful Princess

HALFWAY POINT!! Yes, ladies and germs, lost boys and lost girls, Hooks and Emmas, Snows and Charmings, Companions and Doctors....yeah you get the point. This story is haflway done! Woohoo!! Nice long one to celebrate:) Thank you so much for sticking with this story, your reads, votes, and comments are wonderful and indescribably appreciated!:)

PS Thank you 1d_horan5sos_ for the cover, shown on the side!:)

PETER PAN’S POV

Peter Pan worked to keep his face blank and his mouth hard as he watched the head of white hair eventually disappear into the forest, its faint light going with it. The forest looked so much darker as he dismissed the Lost Boys into it, even though it was still morning.

            “Back to our games, boys,” he tried to snicker, but his voice cracked and he cursed himself mentally. They didn’t move for a second, and Peter threw a burning glare at them. They scattered instantly, noisily. Peter didn’t care, he couldn’t focus on them, only on the burning in his chest. Oh, he was angry. So, so angry. The trees started to sway and the distant booms of thunder rose up, but Peter shoved it down at the feel of Felix’s hand heavy on his shoulder.

            Peter shook it off and growled at him, but the taller boy interrupted. “Let’s go kill some pirates,” he suggested, voice full of as much anger as Peter’s body. It was thickly laced with other emotions too, but Peter ignored it in favor of his suggestion. He needed to expel this energy somehow, and what better way than scaring and fighting some filthy, obnoxious grown-ups?

            Gathering the boys, Felix just behind his right shoulder, Peter sauntered down to the shore and watched the ship, lips twisting into a smirk at the faint sounds of groaning. Half opening the invisible, magical dome that kept them trapped, Peter allowed the pirates to escape the ship and the tortures he’d set on them. They caught on within ten minutes, and many rowboats were headed straight for the boys. The Lost Boys knew the drill: let them get onto land, then ambush them from the trees they were perched in.

            Peter chuckled at the pirates’ yells of surprise, they really should know the routine by now. No matter, their stupidity just made the game easier to win. Almost too easy, Peter thought, as he watched the battle from his casual stance in a tree. Jones himself was there, and he glanced up and met Peter’s eyes. The man growled, already ordering retreat, which Peter returned with a mischievous grin and wiggle of his fingers.

            Well, that was over way too soon. Peter jumped down and appeared in front of Jones, giving the man a second to react and raise his sword. Peter met it mid-swing with his dagger, and relished in the clang and vibration up his arm.

            “I’ll give you a chance in this game, Jones. No magic,” Peter snickered, and Jones scoffed.

            “Like you’d ever play fair,” the grown-up snarled as his arms became a flurry, hook and sword managing to get a few shallow cuts on Peter but nothing else. Peter grinned darkly, letting the anger flow from his chest to his hands but keeping the magic down. He fought spurred on emotion, almost worse than with magic. And Jones noticed.

            The pirate had his hook around the back of Peter’s neck and his sword pressed to the front, panting and grinning manically. “Look at that, little lad’s nothing without his magic.” Then he arched an eyebrow, yanking Peter closer and making a shallow cut with his sword at the base of Peter’s neck. “You’re always eager, but why so angry?”

            Peter bared his teeth and kicked the pirate’s jewels—the important ones. Jones gasped and stumbled, giving Peter the inches he needed to slip out of his hold. “Your men are already running, better go along now if you want to catch a boat in time,” Peter reminded him, nodding at the rowboats being hastily pushed into the deep water. Lost Boys formed a line behind the pirates, pressuring and taunting and lashing at the men as they tried to run.