Chapter 27: Don't Touch, Don't Speak

I feel like I've updated a lot lately...not that that's a bad thing! It just means this story is progressing and I'm so excited for what I have in store! Yes, I am tying in SaveHenry but not for a bit.

Multimedia on my tumblr in the external link:)

Read, vote, most importantly COMMENT! I love them so much I literally can't express it enough :D Enjoy:)

ELLE'S POV

Elle woke up with a quiet groan at the many bruises she could feel littering her entire side, from left calf to left wrist. Cages made of uneven, roughly sewn together sticks are terrible beds. In all her life, Elle had slept on stone floors, four-poster beds, the forest ground, and the boys’ cots. The cage was without a doubt the worst.

            But she hadn’t been expecting much else. She knew Pan wouldn’t just accept her back with open arms, she hadn’t even expected the Lost Boys to be so welcoming. They had surprised her with their actions: pretty much kidnapping her and dragging her to their territory, arguing and pestering Pan over her, huddling around her cage and eagerly talking over each other at her. But Pan had been the most surprising, she had expected him to kill her on first sight. Try to kill her, that is. But he had let her stay, despite his rules, he was letting her come back.

            Still, being thrown in a cage by him stung more than it should have. Elle made sure not to let it show, she swore not to come crawling at his feet.

            Just as she sat up, the door of the cage fell open to reveal the face of Joshua split in two by his grin. His grin was contagious, even though a small part of her seemed…disappointed. “C’mon then, Elle, let’s go play,” he said excitedly, bouncing on the balls of his feet. He reached in for her hand and pulled her up and out of the cage, squeezing her fingers before letting go. She stretched, wincing as her joints cracked and her muscles groaned.

            Joshua, oblivious, started into the forest. Elle smirked and started after him, swiping the bow, arrows, and daggers that the boys had taken off of her the night before. They’d placed them on the ground near the cage, but didn’t let her reach them so that she couldn’t free herself. It reminded her of when she’d first arrived: both times they hadn’t trusted her and trapped her, and both times she hadn’t had any intention of trying to escape anyway.

            The two climbed through the forest until they met up with a group of Lost Boys. Daniel, Harry, Colin, and two boys she didn’t recognize. She matched their grins and hugged Daniel first. Her arms loosened instinctively after a moment, feeling as though she was being watched. Well, of course she was. Pan had eyes and ears all over the island, especially on her, and the boys were all looking at her anyway.

            “Lucky us, you’re not allowed ta be alone,” he chuckled, winking as they pulled apart. Harry kept his arms wrapped around her hips. Elle fought a grimace at the reminder of Pan’s mistrust, but she focused on how happy seeing the boys did make her.

            “I missed you,” she said honestly, receiving a loose, one-armed hug from Colin. Elle turned to face the brunette completely and gave him a small, honest smile. After a moment, he returned it shakily, understanding that he was forgiven. Before anyone noticed, she turned to the two boys she didn’t know. “And you are?”

            The one with blue eyes and a mass of frizzy blonde curls stepped forward with a shy smile. “Just call me Curly, and this here,” he gestured to the blue-eyed, round-faced, spiky-haired brunette next to him, “is Slightly. We’ve heard a ton about you—not from Pan, of course, but the Lost Boys whisper about you sometimes.”