Chapter 33: Shattered Stars

Aaaaaand as always, an update on Thursday. I have no idea why I picked Thursday...anyway, as always, gotta be quick because I have TONS of homework!!! I'm also attempting to plan a harry potter movie marathon with a couple friends...so difficult...people, get it together!! Anyway I know these last couple chapters may seem sort of fillerish and I'm sorry, but it will get better! And it is important!

Next update may not be soon though, because it's not even written yet...I'm sorry, I'm trying!!

My LOVELY VANESSA5836 YOU ARE WONDERFUL AND BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING AND SO SUPPORTIVE I LOVE IT AND GET BETTER SOON!!

I love all of your comments, my darling readers, ESPECIALLY YOU PHYSCOSIS omg I can't even..your comments just made my whole week. No joke. You are so sweet!! <<<<3333 So, this chapter is to you, and tell me your favorite and you can have that one too! (it can be an already existing one, or wait until this is finished, whatever you want). Keep reading, keep commenting, keep voting! You are all fabulous and if you don't believe me, I will personally message you to tell you so. Enjoy:)

PS: Yes, I did purposefully name the mermaids what they are named. Google translate, German ;)

ELLE’S POV

Elle blinked and the blackness cleared, leaving her standing at the edge of one of the outcroppings on either side of her little inlet home. Dark Hollow wasn’t far off, and she could feel the Shadow’s magic looming, not quite upon her anymore but at the edges. Someone cleared their throat in annoyance and thinly veiled impatience, and she looked down. And then wished she hadn’t. Two mermaids rested their arms on the rocks below her, tops of their tails on the rocks but the rest trailing in the water behind them. One wore an expression of impatience and expectance. The other just looked pitying. Elle didn’t know which was worse.

            “Going to say where you just were?” Liebe asked, eyebrow arched. Her hair, pitch black, was tied tightly in a ponytail starting on the top of her head, but it still trailed down her spine to just a few inches above where her light skin morphed into glowing blue-green scales.

            Elle sighed, and slumped to her knees, getting as level with the two as possible. “You know where,” she mumbled, hoping Liebe wouldn’t hear and at the same time hoping she would and then drop it.

            She made a long, exasperated noise in her throat, dark brown eyes narrowing. “Elle, dearest, you must stop this,” she insisted, beginning her usual rant.  “It has been months, and you do this more and more frequently. It is not safe, you will be caught and neither we nor the Shadow and I daresay nor yourself will be able to help you then.”

            The other mermaid placed her palm on Liebe’s arm, stopping her. Elle would have been grateful for it, had it not been just so she could take her turn to lecture her. Liebe pursed her lips but quieted. The other opened her mouth.

            “Stop, Jägerin,” Elle cut her off, barely concealing the plea in her voice. “Please,” she sighed, feeling physically drained. They were right, continuing this habit was dangerous for her. In more than the physical way. She broke her own heart over and over again.

            “Elle,” Jägerin’s voice was soft, but firm. “It was just every few weeks at first, but this is the third time in the last seven days. More and more often, and I see it is taking its toll.” She paused, and tilted her head both in curiosity and to catch the girl’s dark blue-grey downcast eyes with her own light grey ones. Elle almost smirked, they matched bother her mood and the sky.