Chapter 24: Always Remember Me

Elle was literally yanked awake by Felix. She grunted as her arm jolted, but once she blinked her eyes open she froze. Ice felt as though it was running own her back. Felix’s face was blank, eyes and jaw tight. And rather urgently pulling at her.

            “What? Has something happened?” she asked sharply, jumping to her feet and shaking the blanket off of her. Roughly running her fingers through her hair—which still felt incredibly strange—she tried to think of why she was being so urgently woken. Pan didn’t like people to sleep in, but she followed Felix out of the tent to find it only an hour or so after dawn. “Is someone hurt? Are the pirates back? Has someone come?” But Felix didn’t even respond.

            The Lost Boys were standing in a semicircle on the edge of the campsite, but she couldn’t see what they could possibly be looking at. Finally she yanked back on his arm, making him spin on his foot and stumble to her. She narrowed her eyes and stared into his, fingers tight around his. “Felix, what the hell is going on?”

            He sighed and ran a hand through his messy blonde hair and down his thin face. “Pan just ordered everyone up and to gather. Not that unusual, but he just seemed off,” he said uneasily. Then he shrugged and walked over to the boys, her in tow, and shoved his way to the front. The boys parted easily, allowing Felix to stand slightly in front of them and her slightly behind him. Pan stood facing them all, running his brown eyes over them quickly, as if not really seeing them. His eyes met hers and Elle saw how uncharacteristically dull they were. Startled, she stumbled a step back and further behind Felix.

            “Boys, today I must deliver unfortunate news,” Pan began, his voice loud but hard. “Jones did indeed have something, a potential threat to me. Two things, in fact.” There was a faint rustle as Elle, along with all the boys including Felix, glanced around in confusion. “Both we took back, winning the game. Of course,” he and the boys snickered. Then his face grew serious again and his eyes narrowed.

            “But, my brothers, Jones was using magic as he fought. I know you all noticed this, the strength and fiery swords. Not to worry, lads, that’s the best he can do. I can do better,” he smirked. “Unfortunately, Jones knew how to use that second weapon, when he shouldn’t have. I regret this, but it seems we have a traitor in our midst. Someone who showed Jones how to potentially destroy Neverland, and us all with it.”

            A gasp went through the entire crowd, and Elle glanced up at Felix in confusion. He looked just as surprised as the rest of them, which made her nervous. He always knew Pan’s motives, plans, everything. Why did Pan keep this from even him?

            “You all know I do not tolerate betrayal, no matter the circumstances. You all know the consequences,” his narrowed, burning eyes scanned slowly over each face as he continued. “No matter if you choose to betray me willingly, are scared into it, tricked, bribed, tortured.” He finished and his eyes fell into Elle’s.

            He raised his hand, turning his fist to an open palm in the process. Elle yelped as ropes appeared around her wrists and dragged her back until she slammed into a tree. Her back was against it, the ropes on her wrists pulled tight and stretching her arms back. Just as she’d been held her very first days in Neverland. The boys began to react but were quieted by a glare from Pan. Felix, however, stepped to him, chests only inches apart.

            “Pan, what the hell are you doing?” he demanded, voice quiet and gravelly. Elle didn’t say anything herself, white hair whipping around her face as she tried to wriggle free and come up with reasons for this. Her hair was lifted with a nonexistent breeze and glowed brighter, and she felt power begin to warm her veins as her confusion slowly mingled with anger and fear.