Vodka Does NOT Count As The Christmas Spirit - McHanzo

Good evening everyone! Here's my Christmas/Holiday oneshot because I'm festive McHanzo trash. I love Hanzo's changes from the latest comic, it's actually killing me he's so amazing.

Anyway, this is also my obligatory 'thanks for 1k' oneshot so yeah, thanks for 1k. I'm actually surprised I've made it this far so thanks again for your support and encouragement.

Enjoy!

~~~

Christmas Eve wasn't the best time to be lonely. Hanzo knew this as he wandered through the streets, jealously watching families laugh and smile. He didn't want to be bitter and he wasn't really, just tired of being alone whilst everyone else had someone to smile with.

It had been years since he had last properly celebrated Christmas, back when Genji was so young and enthusiastic about all these colourful western traditions. Back when Hanzo still had family. Now, he found himself wandering, traveling wherever in an attempt to redeem himself. Genji had told him to forgive himself but he knew it was going to be a long road.

Currently, he was in America, forced to watch the 'happiest' season from afar and in a foreign country. What made matters worse was that he was having to spend it living out of cheap hotels and living off what ever he could manage.

Tonight he was trying to find a bar somewhere, a place where he could find lonely people like himself and celebrate with strangers. Anything to not be lonely.

His mood lightened slightly as snow began to fall around him. He had always loved snow and it reminded him of when he was little and would play in it with his brother. The snowflakes now danced in patterns around him, swirling in the wind and landing in his face and in his hair.

Walking through the streets, he found himself stumbling upon a Christmas market. He vaguely remembered seeing signs and posters for it when he had entered the town but he hadn't really cared too much, but now he was happy to have found it.

There were lights everywhere, hanging from the shops and houses and there were market stalls set up around the area, selling gifts and food. In the centre of the square was a huge Christmas tree, lit up by multicoloured fairy lights and decorated with baubles and tinsel. On top, of course, was a silver star and it glittered in the bright lights of the street.

People were everywhere, teenagers buying cotton candy, children begging parents to let them have a go on the game stalls, flustered looking adults doing some late present buying and couples holding hands as they listened to the carol singers.

All of a sudden, Hanzo felt a warm, happy feeling bubbling up inside of him. The market reminded him of the good times, of the smile on Genji's face on Christmas morning and the memory of the first time he saw snow. It was nice to feel like that again.

He took the time to wander round a little, smiling at the sound of festive music. The market stalls were colourful and pretty, each one lit up by its own set of twinkling lights. Hanzo liked seeing the trinkets and toys that each shop sold, having never really been to one of these events. Everything seemed festive in its own way, from snowman gingerbread to hand knitted Santa hats.

What caught Hanzo's eye, amongst all the other busy stalls, was a cake stall in the corner. He vividly remembered Genji coming home every Christmas Eve with cake, a traditional present for loved ones, and they would eat it together as they talked and laughed about anything and everything. It was one of Hanzo's fondest memories and favourite traditions.

As he walked over to the stall, he saw a cake that looked like the first one that Genji bought for them. It had white icing and was decorated with strawberries. He perfectly remembered that day, he was twelve and Genji was nine, the younger of the two spending the entirety of his allowance on a present for the two of them to share. They ate it whilst talking about how cool it was going to be when they were older and able to do whatever they wanted. Looking back, it was almost funny how hopeful they had been, considering what was to become of them as they grew.