Dusk On The Bridge - McHanzo

Good evening, everyone! I'm so sorry for not updating in ages, it's been kinda stressful lately (end of term, changing subjects, packing, etc.) and I've been really busy. Also (here's the worst news) I've kinda hit a bit of a temporary wall with OW stuff, probably because my obsession currently lies somewhere else (* guiltily staring at Klance *) so I'm finding it hard to write atm. Hopefully I'll have some more time over the holidays and be able to write more.

Enjoy!

~~~~~

Dusk had always been his favourite time of day. It was when the sky faded to purple and the fireflies started to dance and the clouds seemed to glow against the falling sun. Back in America, when he was still part of Deadlock, he would sneak out at night and find somewhere high up to watch the sunset. The absence of light pollution from the ground meant that the slowly appearing stars were bright and he thought he could see every single one from where he sat.

He sat there for hours, knowing he'd be exhausted in the morning, unable to take his eyes off the sky, even when the sun had gone and there was only scattered stars and darkness. It was his tether, the only moments of peace in his life. No one else knew, no one ever interrupted.

~~~

When he was recruited into Blackwatch, he would often sneak out in the evenings to a hidden spot with a perfect view of the sky. It was behind a building so there wasn't too much risk of being caught. He didn't even know of he was allowed to be there or not, he just hoped he wasn't breaking the rules. Not like it mattered too much, he didn't care if someone found him. As long as he could see the red glow of the sky he was content.

He later found that Gabe knew of his escapades and they would sit together and talk. Those were his favourite memories of him, and some of his last.

~~~

After the tragedy at the Swiss base and the downfall of Overwatch, Jesse became a mercenary. He had learned from people that the only person you can trust is yourself, that no matter how much you love someone they will still tear you apart on a whim. He had seen it happen right in front of him.

So there he was, alone again, wandering with no destination, no where to return to. The only constant in his life was the steady fall of the sun at the end of the day. He would sit and watch as the slight golden glimmer of the star disappeared past the horizon and the sky was lit up by the pale reflection of the moon.

Despite everything, this was still his.

~~~

Even after all this time, he was still reluctant to join the newly reformed Overwatch. He had seen what the organisation had done to Reyes, to Morrison, even to himself, and he didn't know if he wanted to go through all that again. Of course, he couldn't stay away for too long. There would always be a reason for him to come crawling back.

The base was in Gibraltar, somewhere McCree had never been but, as soon as he saw the open sea and the fading light, he knew it was where he needed to be.

Late in the evening, when the ground was still warm from the heat of the day, he sat on the bridge, legs dangling off the edge as he gazed out into the distance. The sun was only beginning to drop as it was a long, summer day, but the view was already breathtaking. Red and pink had started to fade the blue of the sky and the whisps of cloud were lined in silver.

"I see I am not the only one who enjoys the sunset."

McCree smiled at the voice, turning away from the sky to look at Hanzo, who had sat down next to him. If he had thought the sunset was beautiful, it would only take a moment or two to realise that the man by his side was gorgeous. His eyes lit up like candles and looked like sun through a glass of whiskey, with a sort of silent joy that the gunslinger had never seen in him before. His features were highlighted by the golden light, with soft shadows smoothing his sharp edges. His lips, slightly parted in a lazy smile, were intoxicating and when the archer murmured, "It's beautiful," Jesse couldn't help himself.

"Yeah," came his whisper as he lent closer, his own lips ghosting Hanzo's.

At dusk on the bridge, they kissed under the stars.

~~~~~