Nerves - Zarya x Mei & McHanzo

Good evening! What is up, my dudes?

Here's a very very late Valentine's Day oneshot containing two of my favourite ships. I apologise for the lateness, I'm just really slow, oops.

Anyway, enjoy!

~~~

It was surprising how interesting the corridors in the Watchpoint could be. There were little things Zarya had never noticed before, like the little scratches and dents in the metal or the slight discolouration of some of the panels. Even the floor was relatively worth one's attention, with little rocks and pebbles that had been kicked in from outside. If she gave them proper inspection, she could probably tell you where exactly in the base they came from.

The saddest thing was that she had actually had time to notice all that. It was dumb, all this pacing, and she knew she was going to have to stop at some point soon, she just needed a little more time. She passed by the door once again. Just a tiny bit more time. And again. A little bit longer.

This was getting out of hand, she was better than this! She was Aleksandra Zaryanova: strong, independent, wilful and most of all...completely unable to knock on the door of one Mei-Ling Zhou. Why she couldn't, she didn't know. It was such a simple task, to just...knock, and yet here she was, pacing outside for twenty minutes, counting the cracks in the wall panels whilst trying to work up the courage to ask the girl out.

With a heavy sigh, Zarya decided she didn't want to do this anymore, slumping down against the wall with a sigh and looked sadly down at the box of chocolates she was holding. It was Valentine's Day, for heaven's sake, if she couldn't do it today, what chance did she have on any other day of the year? Not like it mattered anyway, Zarya's mind wandered into dangerous territory, Mei would probably say no anyway. It was better to save herself the embarrassment and not even go there.

So wrapped up in her own thoughts, she barely noticed the footsteps coming down the corridor or the slight jingling of metal against the floor. It was the voice that caught her attention.

"Howdy, Zarya! What's up?"

Agent McCree, of course. He was probably here to talk to Genji. She knew they were good friends.

"Not much, just sitting here."

The cowboy raised an eyebrow.

"Jus' sittin', huh? With a box of chocolates? I highly doubt that. They look expensive. A Valentine's gift, I presume?"

Giving a deflated sigh, she nodded, gesturing to the door of Mei's room.

"For her."

There was a chuckle from McCree, who held up a box identical to the one Zarya was holding.

"Great minds think alike, huh? I'm hopin' to win over Hanzo, if he'll have me." She wondered how he could be so confident but then realised that he looked almost as put out as she did. "To be honest, I don't even know why I'm trying. He's so out of my league, I don't even know why he would even look at me."

"Hah, I understand you there."

"Yeah, I jus don't want to ruin what we already have, y'know. What if he doesn't even wanna look my way after?"

It was almost a surprise to hear the man talking like this. Zarya, like most others on the base, could obviously see how much Hanzo adored Jesse. She was shocked to even hear, a few weeks ago from Angela, that they weren't already dating.

Before she realised, McCree had started talking again and she had to fill in the start of his sentence herself.

"It's kinda unfair how you get the easy job. She's gonna be so happy when you hand her that box."