*4*

"Wake up, Y/n, dad's home!" Serena woke you up early the next morning; you rolled over to check the time. You groaned, kicking off your covers.

"I'm getting up." Your voice sounded about as drowsy as you were; you jumped up from bed, following your sister into your father's study. You noticed the lack of sleep from your father's face; you didn't know what to say or do.

"Dad, are you okay?" You asked, but he refused to answer.

"The funeral for your mother is tomorrow, would you like to attend?" He switched his tone of voice to be more stern. Serena shook her head; she didn't like mom after the divorce, though, you couldn't blame her. She chose drugs over her kids.

"It's your mother, Serena. Don't you want to see her one last time?" You never talked to her about her feelings about everything. It must be even harder on her because of her age; she has to attempt to comprehend everything. She seemed like she didn't care. You didn't want to see her either for the same reasons; your father had to work his ass off to support you and your sister, and it wasn't easy when your mother would steal from his wallet to buy drugs.

(FLASHBACK)

Your father confronted her, nearly treating her like a child.

"It's either the family or your addiction Lauren." She saw the hurt and confusion in her children's eyes, shaking.

"I-I can change." She stuttered; this was one of the times she was actually sober because your father couldn't save enough money for anything. He only had a secret stash to pay for food and a new place; hopefully somewhere far away.

"You haven't changed for nineteen years. I can't support this family all by myself Lauren- think about your children! They live with your drug addiction! How do you think this affects their lives, seeing their own mother slowly killing herself with something that makes her high. I can't allow our kids to live like this anymore." Your father's stern and demanding voice startled your mother. She was on the floor, kneeling at your father's feet for forgiveness, but he was tired of living this way.

You peeked from your sister's room, covering her eyes and ears so she didn't have to deal with this. You loved your mother, but this was too much for you, Serena, and your father.

"Look at your children, Lauren! Look at them! They're terrified of their own mother." Your father begins to raise his voice, making your mother cry.

"You either get clean in rehab or I'm leaving, and you won't be apart of your children's lives anymore; I can promise you that." You hated being alone with your mother, and so did Serena. You never would've thought something like this would happen to your family.

Your mother was silent, staring into the small strains of the carpet hairs beneath her. Your father held back tears; he didn't want this to happen, but he was the man of the house. He physically and mentally couldn't handle the way your mother was, and maybe this was for the better. His tears ran down his face slowly and steady, almost dramatically. You knew your father was caring and sweet, but his words would pierce through you like bullets.

"The papers are on the counter. Y/n, Serena, pack your things. We're leaving to your grandma's." Your mother hung onto your father's leg, begging him not to leave, but he pushed her off. You remembered the day like it was engraved inside your brain. Once the door was shut, you watched your mother hysterically weep; she watched the car leave the driveway and drive off into the darkness of the night.

***

"I refuse to see her." You spoke up after a moment of silence; he understood. He shooed you both off while he sat down at his desk, opening up his laptop. You picked up your phone, noticing a few missed messages from Ethan.