Chapter 13

When the girls stepped out of the radio tower and looked at the sun up in the sky, they all felt absolutely relieved. They were contacted again by the police that morning, and were told that there was a rescue team already close to the island, so they rushed out of the building. It wasn't pleasant to actually see all the spiders in the studio room with the light coming in through the windows, and Tomomi almost had an attack, but Mami managed to calm her down enough for them to get out.

They were now sitting on the ground right outside the tower, waiting. It was like being a kid waiting for christmas, and at the same time like being completely lost in the dark. The girls didn't really know what to expect.

It had been over a week. That was day 9 and they couldn't believe how far they went. Deep down, all of them were surprised at themselves, at how strong they found themselves to be.

Haruna smiled at the thought of going home having done all of that together with her best friends. They really proved to each other that they were stronger and wiser together, that it didn't matter what happened, they would work as a team to solve the problem.

If she ever had any doubts about the depth of their friendship before, those doubts were long gone now. Every single one of them risked their lives to make sure the others would be ok.

- I think I heard something... - Rina said, looking at the sky, and the others paid attention.

It seemed distant, but there was definitely something making a noise. That sounded like a helicopter, and the girls looked at each other excitedly. A few minutes after, the sound was already loud and close, and as they waited, eventually a red helicopter entered their sight.

It seemed like the people in there saw them, since they were right in front of the tower and waving their arms crazily, and it made a turn back towards the shore, leaving the four girls with their hearts pounding very fast.

- How do you think this is going to work? - Tomomi asked, almost crying again, sitting right by Mami's side and taking a look at her injuries - They can't land here, so...

- That probably isn't the only vehicle, they're probably using a boat as well. - Rina answered with a big smile - I saw that on TV many times, there are rescue teams with boats, cars, bikes...

- I can't believe we're really getting out of here, they really came for us... - Mami said, closing her eyes and sighing.

- Yeah... - Haruna started, standing up. - I think I can finally stop worrying about those. - she pointed at Rina's broken arm and then at the blonde's leg - I'm sure they sent paramedics after everything we told them.

Tomomi nodded furiously, rubbing on her eyes. Haruna could see how worried she was as well, and she had a great reason to be. They couldn't tell much about Rina, but Mami's ankle was looking worse than ever, the swelling was even bigger and uglier. They surely had to "thank" that psychopath for that.

A while later, they exchanged joyful looks when hearing the sound of engines coming closer. First the helicopter passed by again, and it didn't take long for three motorcycles to enter their sight, coming fast and making jumps in between the trees. It looked like they were being guided by the helicopter crew.

All of them felt like crying when the three vehicles stopped in front of them, and two men and a woman in blue uniforms removed their helmets before running to them. One of the bikes, driven by one of the men, was packed with what seemed to be a complete and huge emergency kit and some equipment. The other two vehicles were free, so they supposed they were going to be taken back to the shore in duos.

- Is there anyone with open wounds? - the woman asked as she walked closer to them.

- She has one on her back - Rina hurried to point at Mami, and then at Haruna - And I think you should take a look at her cuts too.