Chapter 7 : Crazy

"I'm crazy
crazy for feeling so lonely
I'm crazy
crazy for feeling so blue"

Some thin stripes of gold light made their way into the room through the closed curtains. A body tossed in the bed. A few stretches, yawning, a face surfaced out of the white sheets. Waking up : At first everything is normal, calm. But reality catches up very quickly. 

- Hello ?

Kim closed her eyes again. She wanted to fall back asleep on the phone she had just picked up.

- Hello Kim. It's Mikko. Where are you ? Are you with Ville ?

Ville. Like she could seriously, for a single second, have forgotten the previous night. His smell still lingered on, just like the shape of his head on the pillow next to her, his warmth on her bed, and even almost his hands on her skin. But he was not with her, for sure.

- Huh.. No.. I'm not with Ville. Why ?
- Well, he was supposed to take you to the studio an hour ago so we could all listen to the work done on the song this morning but... He did not even show up at his apartment according to his girlfriend.

His girlfriend. Right. Like she was not expecting this one. Actually she was not expecting anything at all.

- Humm... I have to catch my plane tonight anyway so... Just send me the song once it's done and we'll see from there. 

She hung up as soon as she could. She only thought about one thing : leaving. She showered, packed, called a taxi, paid and left. 

Kim plunged into the airport crowd. All she had to do was register her suitcase and wait before boarding. She tried to read but just couldn't. She always found herself staring at groups of people, unconsciously searching for someone with the same hair, the same clothes. But nothing satisfied this little quest. Kim boarded for Los Angeles, the long hours of uncomfortable flight allowing her to burry deep down the memories from last night.

***

The singer arrived home in the early hours. She climbed the three small steps in front of the house, facing the garden. She stared at the bay window for a short second, as if she did not want to get inside and leave these past two days behind.

The sound of keys woke Jim up. He had fallen asleep in the living room, listening to the radio, waiting for his sister. It was a small open room, right of the bay window and the door, so Kim did not see her brother at first. 

- I see you forgot I was coming for the week end. I called several times and waited for you all night. Thanks a lot.

Kim gave a quick look at her phone. He was right. Yes, she had forgotten about Jim. Just like she had forgot about everything else. She fell on the couch, tired, leaving her suitcase in the middle of the room.

- I'm sorry. Didn't Rose tell you I was away ?
- I don't see how she could have, she's not here either. I hope you both have a good excuse.

Her excuse had deep green eyes and a mesmerizing tattoo on his arm, she thought. Jim saw she wasn't completely here. She began lighting up a cigaret, which she only did when she was upset. Jim snatched it from her hands. 

- Tell me what's wrong, damn it. He said with a snappy tone.

- What's that song ? 

- Willie Nelson, Crazy. Do not change the subject.

- I was in Helsinki for work. We did a song, slept together, the usual. Want a picture ?  Oh and Dan and I broke up before I went on tour. She said in a weary voice.

- No thanks. Still don't see what's wrong though !

Kim left for the kitchen. She could only hear the song on the radio, the lyrics echoing the feelings she was unsure of at this very moment. She was just tired and confused, hoping coffee would help clear it all.

"Crazy for thinking that my love could hold you
I'm crazy for trying
I'm crazy for crying"

This sounded too true to her. She wanted to cover that song. That would keep her busy for a few weeks, just enough to forget, again.