four ↠ the rejection and the note

annnd i got a new charger! so i can write now. this should be up before new years, so if so, then happy new years! i hope all of your resolutions stay with you upon this next year <3

anyways, i hope you enjoy this chapter! i'm not really sure how i want this to go, so i'm pretty much winging it until i come up with a good enough plot for the next few chapters!

edit: i got major writers block this month holy shit, but it's currently january 24th, right before midnight, on a school night, and i'm suddenly getting muse for this. i hope i can publish this soon, but i'm trying to make it longer bc i feel bad for keeping all you lovely people waiting <3

edit 2: its march 2nd. i'm terrible. 

also, this chapter is dedicated to overthinker13 for being sweet and adorable and being a serious motivator to keep me writing on this book <3 thank you so much, love, it doesn't go unappreciated!

Maya's P.O.V.

My mind was screaming, shouting at me to jump into my truck and speed away from this hell hole, to ignore the pleading boy completely, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. My anger was beckoning me to turn to him. And damn, my feet listened.

I swirled around to stare coldly at the galloping boy. His pale skin was red from the freezing air, and his bag was flapping behind him as he jumped with each step, trying not to slip and fall. Just at the sight, I was ready to turn away, but I stopped myself. I snarled at him. "What do you want? Haven't you messed with me enough today?"

He arrived in front of me seconds later, heaving ever so slightly. I see soccer really had helped his under-nourished habits. "Look, I--- I didn't mean for it--- I didn't want it to---" He tumbled over his words, each like a rock crossing the other until an avalanche started to form. I stopped him immediately, raising my hand to push it into his face.

"Just shut it, alright? I don't need to hear your stupid excuses. Leave me alone." I flung open my truck door, jumping in and getting ready to slam it in his face when a skinny hand stopped me. I looked up into cold blue eyes, wide and apologetic, but I knew it was a lie.

"It wasn't like that!"

"Save it." I kicked his hand away, slamming the door and driving off, not caring if the bed of the truck hit him or not. This school thrived off popularity and social status--- I used to be at the top when we were in middle school. I've fallen to the middle class--- the outcasts who have power over others. That's where I lie, and I'll be damned if anyone tries to weaken my status. I don't care what others think of me, but respect is another thing. If you don't have respect in this school, you might as well not exist. It's a terrible thing to say, but my mouth speaks the truth.

The next two days went by like nothing ever happened. I went back to my usual fly-below-the-radar tactics, and Farkle slumped back to his friends and didn't dare say another word to me. Just how it has, should've, is, and always will be.

But I'm not lucky enough for that, now am I?

It was Friday. Friday. When you hear that word, most jump with joy and anticipation for the weekend. I'm usually one of those people; extra chipper on the final day, not a care in the world. But that's until I got to my locker.

I should've known something was off when the lock opened a bit too easily--- the school was still an arctic tundra, so the lockers were mostly frozen shut, but mine had no problem opening. And that's when I saw it.

The material was the same as the last time my eyes gazed upon it, not a thread out of place or stain to be found. Mint condition, you could say, the only alter being the small note card sticking out from the folds of the crew neck. 

I didn't bother to read it--- I knew who it was from, and quite frankly, I could care less what the fucker had to say. He just couldn't give me a break, could he? Of course not. No one ever does. I was ready to stalk back over to the Minkus boy, throw the sweater right back in his face, just as I had a few days back, but as the halls went silent and the red sea parted, I only saw two of the Big Three, and neither of them could pull off a sweater.

Confused, I pushed my way through the walls of love-stricken girls and stepped right out, a brown, quirked brow being my only facial expression. The sweater was clasped tight between my fingers as I stopped the two, placing myself in their path.

I waited another moment, staring them down as confusion washed over their features. They obviously weren't going to break the ice first; It had to be me. "So--- You're missing a crucial piece to the Big Three, there." Sarcasm and snark dripped from my lips, seething with a hint of anger.

I saw one of them roll their eyes, not particularly caring who, but as the blonde crossed his arms, I knew it had to be him. "God, don't call us that. It's ridiculous."

"And why not? You are the Big Three, it's just who you are. Except--- there's only two. So, where did the weird one go?"

That seemed to spark something in Zay, since he popped in next. "First, he's not weird; Second, he's home sick... Is that his sweater again?" His dark finger trailed to point below us where my hand swung with the bunched shirt.

The material burned my fingers, soft but menacing, and my blue eyes glanced down in fear of fire. But there was no flame, no heat--- just snow-white fingers and a balled fist. "Yeah, he keeps putting it in my locker. Tell the fucker not to do that, alright? Creepy as hell."

Their confusion seemed to grow, both sharing an awkward glance before Zay turned back to me. "You do realize he hasn't been out of bed since school yesterday, right? He couldn't have put it in there." 

I wanted to laugh at them, snort in their face and explain to them I knew this game and that two could definitely play it, but as the words sunk in and my brain processed it all, I realized they were right. All over Instagram I saw posted tributes of their hopeful wishes towards the boy, some wondering why he hadn't showed up to whatever practice was on that afternoon. I just assumed the kid had taken a day off, but now the tables had turned.

I scrunched my brows, ignoring the two boys who were staring me down as I reach back for my bag, pulling out the note card that had been taped to it only minutes before. i ripped the thin paper open, reading the delicately scribbled words that lied inside.

ʜᴇʏ... ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡᴇ ʜᴀᴠᴇɴ'ᴛ ᴛᴀʟᴋᴇᴅ ɪɴ ᴀ ᴡʜɪʟᴇ, ʙᴜᴛ ꜰᴀʀᴋʟᴇ ᴡᴀɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ɢɪᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜɪꜱ. ʜᴇ ꜱᴀʏꜱ ʜᴇ ᴋᴇᴇᴘꜱ ꜱᴇᴇɪɴɢ ꜱᴏᴍᴇ ʜᴏʟᴇꜱ ɪɴ ʏᴏᴜʀ ꜱᴡᴇᴀᴛᴇʀꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ꜱᴜʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴡᴀʀᴍ... ɢᴜᴇꜱꜱ ʜᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ᴡᴇ ꜱᴛɪʟʟ ᴛᴀʟᴋᴇᴅ. ᴀɴʏᴡᴀʏꜱ, ɪ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀᴇᴅ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟᴏᴄᴋᴇʀ ᴄᴏᴍʙɪɴᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ꜰʀᴇꜱʜᴍᴀɴ ʏᴇᴀʀ, ꜱᴏ ɪ ᴘᴜᴛ ɪᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ꜱᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅɴ'ᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ꜱᴇᴇ ᴍᴇ... ᴏᴋᴀʏ, ᴡᴇʟʟ, ᴋᴇᴇᴘ ᴡᴀʀᴍ.

- ʀɪʟᴇʏ

Holy. Fucking. Hell.

jknfjdsjk um.... sorry? I TRIED TO MAKE IT LONGER I'M SO SORRY MY DUDES. FSNDSKF

just 

well

ugh

um

comment and vote?

nah probably not...

uh

ok

.....

- dani <3 (?)