17

Mike.

In my arms the most vulnerable and delicate thing I had ever seen and here I am arms wrapped around him on my couch as hurt and devastated as he as he picked at my food I no longer had the appetite for.

Neither of us spoke to one another but I knew he was still grateful for my presence and comforting and he still knew I was just as shaken as he was. It pains me to know that only a couple things made him happy and two of them being Shaniece and His mothers bright smile were both taken from him at an instant.

"Mike" he mumbled

"Hmm?" I looked down at him.

"Her birthday is tomorrow, I can't do this. I don't wanna be here without her" He said.

"Don't say that Elijah" I said.

"I didn't even get to say bye, I won't see her ever again. It's the only thing i can think about"

"I understand Elijah, I really—"

"I don't think you do Michael, what am I supposed to do? How can I go home knowing she won't ever be there?"

"I'm here for you, if you want me to be"

"I don't know anymore"

"you can stay here for as long as you need to, moms said it's cool"

"thanks" he mumbled. "appreciate it"

"She was probably so scared, just thinking about the baby" he added.

"I know buddy, but they're good. Way better than they would have ever been on this earth the REAL OG holdin' em down"  I hugged him tighter.

"yeah, you right about that one. Shaniece probably got unlimited Cheesecake Factory up there or some shit, she loved that damn place" he laughed.

"You think heaven got a Popeyes?" I asked.

"I sure hope so"

"can I get a 20 piece ? Puhleaseee?"

"Michael you can't eat no 20 peice"

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, don't do that" I rolled my neck playfully "seriously though, im sorry for what I sai—"

"Yeah" he cut me off. "I hear you"

"I shouldn't have sai—"

"you straight, ima head home" he said

I watched him as he arose from my bed then retrieving his sneakers from the side of my dresser.

"Call me when you get home Elijah"

"Yeah" he replied as he walked out my bedroom and closed the door behind him

I was silent until I heard my front door slam, once I did I couldn't help but cry...I had so many reasons. I can't handle Elijah in this state..I wish I had a remedy for his pain..but I don't.