Christmas in Hell (Not Really): Part 1

The sun shines high and bright in the sky, only a few clouds can be seen. The beach is crowded with people, their children running back forth from the sand to the water.

I sit back in my chair, the warm rays tanning my skin. I bought a new swim suit just for this hunt: a black flannel colored bikini. Carter got a matching blue one. We thought it was fitting.

"Hey, Em," Carter says, walking up to me. "One iced tea for you and one lemonade for me." She hands me my drink and sits down on the chair next to me, sipping out of her straw. "Let's do winter hunts in Florida more often. I am digging this warm weather."

I laugh and lean my head back, closing my eyes. "I can do that," I say, bringing my iced tea to my lips.

"Have you talked to Dean yet?" She says and I roll my eyes even though my sunglasses are covering them and she can't see.

"Nope," I say, sitting up. "And honestly, I don't plan to."

"Why not?" She says, crossing her arms. "What even happened over Thanksgiving besides the whole Michael bullshit?"

"Nothing," I say, swinging my legs so that the are hanging off the side of my beach chair. "And that's the problem. He did nothing."

"What do you mean he did nothing? All he did was comfort you and punch Michael."

"That's not what I'm talking about," I say. "When my grandparents showed up, he did nothing to send them away. He just stood there. Like it wasn't a big deal that my mothers parents had showed up on Bobby's front porch expecting me to run into their arms like I've known them my whole life."

Carter sighs. "Have you talked to them at all?"

I think back to the awkward night. We had gone back inside where they told me stories about my mother and how she was an amazing hunter in her youth. Sam suggested I show them her diary and they nearly cried as they skimmed through it. I let them keep it for the time being, but I have a slight feeling I might never get it back.

"No," I say, pressing my lips together. "I don't really feel like it anyways. I mean, what would you do if two people just walk into your life, say you're all related, and expect you to greet them with open arms?"

Carter bites her lip. "I'd probably run far, far away. Considering everyone I'm related to is dead."

I shake my head as we both laugh. "It's just crazy, you know? Both Mom and I had figured they were both long gone. But nope. They're still out there kicking ass."

"Did they know that your mother was part angel?"

I shrug. "I have no idea. We never got that far."

I had avoided them the next day, blaming it on a migraine. I only talked to them when we were saying goodbye, and even then I was in and out of the room as fast as possible.

"If they had known," I say, standing up, "they probably wouldn't have adopted her. It's just a hunter thing, ya know?"

Carter laughs. "Yeah," she says. "I totally get that."

I smile and stick my hand out to her. "Hey," I say. "We got some work to get done."

She pouts and takes my hand. "You mean we are really here to work?"

I laugh and pull her up. "We can relax once the job is done."

She sighs. "Fine," she says dramatically. "If we really have to."

We both laugh as we gather our things and make it back to our truck. "Find out anything new?"

I shake my head and climb into the drivers seat. "Nope," I say. "I think we just need to go into the coroners and see if they will let us check out the body."