prologue

"daniel howell?", ms. middle said out loud. "y-yes?", i quickly stutter as i snap out of my daydream and go back to sitting up straight with my chin up.

"your... homework?", she says slowly as if she wanted to get her word across. oh shit, where did it go?! it may have fallen out of my hands when i was in a rush to get to class. shitshitshitshit, what should i do?

"uh...", i stay quiet trying to think of an excuse, "you see, ms. middle, i am a ... very... passionate person and i did my homework... i just--uh...". i started to sweat, i sneaked a quick glance at ms. middle. she didn't seem very amused.

"look, mr. howell. i don't teach children just so i can get made of as a fool by the forgetful youth!", she had such a disgusted look in her eyes.

"oh! here, this might be yours!", a boy with raven black hair and ocean blue eyes said and turned around and handed me my lost papers. "i found this in the middle of the hallway".

"oh thank you!", i gave him a smile and gave it to ms. middle, "here you are! see, i didn't forget!". ms. middle didn't seem to have any interest in my miracle of life and she didn't seem to care.

i went back to my seat and tapped the boy on the shoulder. "thanks for saving my ass back there". he turned back and grinned back at me, "no problem". and holy mother of god, he was beautiful...

the whole entire class, i couldn't concentrate because of this... boy. his smile just kept replaying in my mind and how he almost saved me from getting after school detention.

after school, my mood had boosted up. the public speaker announcements stated that it was heavily raining out there and they warned us to be safe out there.

now, i don't know about you but i fucking love the rain. let me tell you, it's just so beautiful and calming and it's nice to take your rage out when you stomp into a puddle. it's also a really nice shoulder to cry on because you're not the only one that's crying, the cloud is too and the rain are it's tears.

i met up with my friends caspar and louise and we took a long stroll across campus and talked.

"did you hear? zoe got the name just this morning!", caspar piped trying to start up conversation.

"yeah, i heard about it! she's in my class, right? i talked to her about it and come on, guess whose name is on her wrist?", louise giggled clapping her hands together excitedly.

i bit my lip and started to guess, "uh,, is it a boy's name or a girl's name?". louise smiled again, "that part you have to guess as well!!".

"oh right... um... joe? ollie? ricky? jim?", caspar took his first guess- er... guesses, but louise shook her head at all of them. it was my turn now.

"uh, pj? chris? jack?", i shrug. louise laughed at all my guesses, "you really think pj, chris or jack might be zoe's soulmate?". "hey", i got defensive, "you told us to guess!". "they're all wrong, by the way".

"then what? is it a girl then?", i ask, almost frustrated.

"no, it's not a girl. it's a boy", louise giggles. me and caspar roll our eyes, "alright tell us..".

"you forgot to guess alfie", louise got giddy again. alfie?! that guy? i mean,, i don't have anything wrong with him but really? i don't know, i guess they'd be a cute couple.

"really?!", caspar seemed to be mind blown at the fact that it was alfie. louise started to snort, "oh come on! you can't say anything. you guessed joe! her literal younger brother".

ouch, i didn't even realize caspar said it, damn.

i look at the bus stop, "uh guys i really need to go--". they both nodded at me and i just started running towards the bus stop hoping i don't miss the first bus. as soon as i reach there, my shirt is drenched with rain water and i look around trying to find shelter.

i look up at the sky and start to shiver. the rain can be pretty harsh sometimes but it's still nice to look at.

just then the raindrops stopped landing on my forehead and a shadow loomed over me. that's weird, everything around me is still having the downpour.

"hey, i figured you needed a roof above your head", a familiar kind voice ringed in my ears. i looked up and saw the same boy that helped me this morning.

"oh--", i started to blush, "uh, th-thanks for... help-helping me". i tried to muster up a smile to show him my gratitude but the way he just looked at me just makes me want to melt on the floor.

"oh!", his eyes lit up and he held his bag and rummaged through it. after a good few seconds, he got out a jacket and put it on my back.

"there, that'll keep you warm", he said quickly while he gathered up his belongings as he eyed a small car come up to the bus stop. he was almost about to run but then he fell back and looked at me.

"here, keep the umbrella. i'm going inside a ride anyway", he lent me his umbrella and i took hold of it and nodded. he started sprinting down the pavement towards the small car and i saw him get in.

i could feel my face getting hot and the lasting effects of that... boy's actions made me go flustered the entire bus ride.

when i came home, i greeted my family and went straight to my room and dropped my bag and took off the jacket that the boy had given me. i took a small sniff of it because why not and god damn, that is one good scent. not trying to be creepy or anything but..

i fell onto my bed and started playing with my hair. who is he? why does he keep helping me? is he doing it out of the goodness of his heart or...?

"dan!!", i heard my mother call from my downstairs. "coming!", i shout back. i take off my shoes and set them aside and tidy up my stuff. but just as i went down the stairs, i felt a stinging pain on my wrist.

when it stopped, my eyes widened as i caught sight onto what happened on my wrist. the name had been sealed onto me...

'phil lester'

-

yeah boy was that a good start to a story? -author