02 | Uncovering a Truth

We both stood still, analyzing the other's next move.

"What's your name?" I frowned, emotions somersaulting around as past memories and recent revelations cleared into view.

The man let out a secretive smile, as if he was about to share an inside joke. "Faisal."

"I guess there's no need for me to introduce myself." I got up with an annoyed grunt, ignoring his hand and straddling my bike once more.

Faisal shrugged his broad shoulders, not at all appearing contrite. A perfect set of white teeth appeared from another charming smile, the action more taunting than anything. It may have been his eyes that convinced me to lose any sense of reason, because my next words surprised us both.

"Just hop on and tell me where to drive."

 ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶       ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶

"This place is a dump," I deadpanned.

My critical gaze settled on the rundown apartment that I was entering, being further lead into a dully carpeted hall with lights flickering on the ceiling. I felt reassured by the weight of a pocket knife nestled snugly in my boot, in case this Faisal guy tried to pull any funny business.

The blond took confident steps as I reluctantly trailed behind him, struggling to keep up with his long strides.

He took a sharp left. "We have to take the stairs."

"Let me guess, you live on the highest floor?" Dread filled me at the thought.

"Second highest." Faisal looked non-apologetic. "The building only reaches six floors."

I breathed heavily as we trekked upwards, Faisal's athletic form bouncing up with ease, as opposed to my funeral march. A strong body was something people knew me by, always in decent shape with lean muscle. That being said, it was rearing two o'clock in the morning and I haven't had a proper meal since breakfast.

Oh yeah, and I was stabbed in the side earlier too.

A loud growl filled the stairwell as we made it to the fifth floor—I glared at my stomach and then scowled some more at the man snickering ahead.

Faisal opened the metal door as I stomped pass him. "I'll microwave some leftovers."

I nodded silently at the offer, mood lifting just an inch as my host gestured to another door that I assumed lead to his apartment. Not knowing what will greet me, a well furnished and normal looking residence wasn't it.

I subconsciously assessed all the windows and exits that could be used if something went wrong.

Something always went wrong.

He looked around the hall before locking the door. "The outside isn't high on appearance, it helps keep things under the radar."

I tried not to glance at the reflection of a nearby mirror, knowing that my appearance was less than great after today's events. Even with the somewhat decent amount of beauty I attained on good days, the gaunt cheeks and sunken eyes wouldn't be doing me any favours.

I jolted at the sound of a microwave beeping, not realizing how long I've zoned out. My gaze turned suspicious as Faisal reappeared, holding a plate of what was assumed to be leftover spaghetti. He gently peeled off the clear seal and presented it to me with a flourish.

"Don't worry, it's not drugged."

"Good to know." I placed my helmet by the main entrance and slowly took the plate from his large hands. "Is there a reason you're playing nice?"