05 | Introductions and Bad Choices

I looked down at my black tie and fiddled with the end.

The unicorn had a grey one himself.

Thank God we weren't in the same section.

"Well, this is unexpected." Connie's voice drifted as I examined the small silver embroidery sitting proudly on its tip, resembling some sort of bird in mid-flight towards a crescent moon.

NIFEEN's Academy Crest.

"You're going to be eaten alive." Connie ran a hand through his already tousled hair. "This only makes my job harder than it needs to be."

"I don't need your help anymore." I tried shooing him. "Be free, little grasshopper."

"You're scared." Connie cruelly smirked at my annoyed expression. "Don't worry, I'll know when you come across any trouble."

"There's no way in hell I'd resort to your assistance," I said while crossing arms.

"Just don't be more stupid than you already are." He frowned. "I have no choice in this entire ordeal, so don't do anything that will get yourself killed—because if you recklessly die, I'm dragged down as well."

This new revelation made me stop short; there was still so much I didn't know about our contract.

Just how much power did Faisal hold over him?

I was once again curious about the blond's enigmatic spirit, thinking I'd have to corner Connie later and interrogate him for sure.

We gave each other a sour look before parting ways, exchanging pleasant words as we passed.

"Asshole," I roughly murmured.

"Imbecile," he darkly whispered back.

I bumped his shoulder, heading straight towards some students loitering by the side. Gabriel was right, there were significantly less black ties as I looked around. My neighboring peers glanced at me, earning them an awkward wave as I tried entering the crowd. I was about to trade pleasantries, but everyone suddenly moved away, heading down the hall to follow an older student towards our dormitories.

I hate the process of making new friends.

 ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶       ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶

It was the moment of being assigned the world's worst roommates that I debated dropping out on the first day of being here.

The scenario that just took place was similar to when one doesn't have partners for a group project, the teacher forcefully throwing you with random people instead of going solo.

I might as well have a sticker on my forehead that said 'outsider'.

I unenthusiastically observed the bizarre ritual of girls jumping on each other and celebrating their luck. One stood out with her auburn hair and honeyed eyes, orbs that observed the room with a slyness that seemed to be permanently etched upon her face.

Her friends continued to cause a fuss as they squealed about something or another.

The striking girl turned unexpectedly, her sharp features scrunched up in distaste. "You can take the bed by the corner."

"Vivian, don't mind her... we need to discuss the opening ceremony!" Another gushed out, sleek hair pulled up in a tight pony-tail.

"Ah, are you talking about the students who shared a speech?" The one named Vivian responded, dutifully unpacking her suitcase and placing the articles of clothing neatly in a drawer.