18 | Investigations

A large exhale left as I loosened my tie and drifted out of last period. Corridors were dimly lit at this hour, with the short days of winter hogging up precious sunlight. Riley diligently followed as we made our way back to the dorms, yet a groan escaped as I witnessed a familiar redhead making his way over.

The vampire bat noticed. "Why is Adam Xanthus heading this way?"

"No idea," I grumbled and stretched a sore neck. "Wait, you know him?"

"Unfortunately," Riley grumbled.

"Don't worry, maybe he'll just go away."

"Bishop." Adam ruined that hope as he stopped by our vicinity.

I shoved my fists inside deep blazer pockets, trying to mellow out before snapping. "Xanthus."

"Remember me now, Cinders?"

The childhood nickname made my body recoil, a sick feeling being left behind. Everyone in our hometown knew of the local disaster, it was all over the news, a wealthy estate and lineage burnt to the ground.

Burnt to cinders.

"You're like an awful stain that refuses to go away," I sneered.

He smiled unkindly. "Look at us, enrolled inside this academy and away from that shit-hole."

"Thought you'd be in jail."

"Thought you'd be dead."

We sized each other up, his frame no longer towering over threateningly, the past few years gracing height to me instead. Riley gave a nervous glance, causing me to instinctively usher the girl behind.

"How'd you even get in here?" I was flabbergasted, knowing that anyone from Ophelia's Orphanage couldn't ever dream to afford NIFEEN'S balls-deep tuition.

"I was scouted by some weirdo who conjured fire out of nowhere, he was very insistent." A shrug. "I'd be stupid not to take him up on his offer."

The information made me freeze.

Is that also how Leon got special enrollment?

The actual fuck, Faisal, just what were your motives?

"Tell me..." Adam's thin lips morphed into a nasty frown. "Did you yap' to your boyfriend about our discussion?"

"What?" I asked confused.

"Mishal found me after lunch."

"He's not my boyfriend, dumbass."

"Either way, you're still crawling around for someone else to fight your battles."

"I hardly asked him for help." My brows furrowed. "But who knows, Ender tends to take everything personally."

Adam took a large step forward. "Your knight in shining armour threatened me to leave you alone, or I'll regret it."

Huh, maybe Ender did care.

I didn't back up as the male attempted to dominate the space. "He's not my personal guard dog that I call onto people who do me wrong. Besides, I'm pretty sure 'sic em' boy!' isn't a demand Ender would kindly respond to."

A snicker from behind was heard.

Hazel eyes glared at the noise's direction. "You're in deep shit, I'd watch out or she will pay the price."

"Morwen has new friends that won't let you do shit." Riley went up to his face.

"I'd hardly call it friendly," Adam spat. "I saw you two sucking face in the sixth floor alcove."