04 | Eyes of Fire

̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶       ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶

          I was sweating by the time a giant castle came into view.

Which was the only way to describe it, and my legs shook with the thought of climbing up that massive hill.

Rustling leaves made me freeze mid-step, an anxious feeling that further made my eyesight focus deeper into the trees. A flash of silver sped through thick shrubbery. Moments later it was like nothing happened, too fast to even process.

I turned around while saying a big fat nope in my head. "Okay, new plan, forget the luggage and sprint to the castle."

Just wait until I get my hands on Connie's slender neck, I'll wring it

"Do you always talk to yourself?"

A voice from behind made me jump, causing my grip to falter and for one of the bags to drop on a foot.

"Freaking hell." I turned around with a wince.

Two students, who looked way better in the uniform than I did, gazed at my pitiful form with contrasting expressions. The girl who spoke had a curious look, while her male counterpart sported an impatient grimace.

The guy stared at my fallen luggage. "Girls always pack too much."

He was shushed with a small hand waving in front of his face, annoyance masking the other's joyful nature from earlier. "I'm Morwen, and the one without a filter is my brother Gabriel."

Her voice was so pleasant that I almost forgot my manners.

"Nova." I smiled, all while giving a snide glance to her sibling. "It's nice to meet you."

"Don't associate yourself with her, Morwen." He gave me a withering look in return. "We're going to be late for the opening ceremony."

Gabriel grabbed Morwen's arm and brushed passed, briefly looking down with a hostile expression.

Jeez, who pissed in his cereal this morning?

The small girl gave an apologetic look as she was dragged away, her brother chastising his sister about the dangers of strange women who talk to themselves. A sense of bitter loneliness dampened my mood as I looked upon the siblings, how the sister argued back and threatened her brother to behave and cease being overprotective.

Maverick on the other hand would have probably tied me to a nearby tree, laughing at my loss.

Maybe set the tree on fire.

Ah, homicidal brothers.

Before brooding further in the foreign woods, I set forth with renewed determination.